The Rangers are going to start Mitch Moreland at first base in most of their games this season. He posted a decent .833 OPS, nine home runs and 25 RBI over 173 plate appearances last year and played pretty strong defense.
On days that Moreland doesn’t start, it’ll be either Michael Young or Mike Napoli manning the first base bag. Adrian Beltre, of course, will be covering third.
So, where does that leave 24-year-old infielder Chris Davis? A new team, maybe.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, David said Sunday in Rangers camp that he has come to terms with the fact that he might be traded this spring or at some point this summer.
“I have to come to terms with it,” said Davis. “I might not be with the Rangers my whole career or even this season. I understand that people look at me as a guy who has had some success and then struggled, that I might be a guy who they would view as being a ‘change of scenery,’ candidate. I want to be here. But if they move me, I don’t know that it would be a bad thing.”
Davis, 25 in March, has posted really good numbers in the minor leagues. Last season, he hit 14 home runs with a .903 OPS and 80 RBI in 444 plate appearances at the Triple-A level. In 2008, he slugged 23 homers in 77 games between Double-A and Triple-A.
The talent is there, but he’s never been able to put it all together in the big leagues. Maybe that would change in another uniform. He can play both corner infield spots and he is not even eligible for salary arbitration yet. The Rangers should find a good amount of trade interest if they really want to put him out on the market.
Update #2 (6:21 PM EST): Make that $37.5 million, per Heyman.
Update (6:02 PM EST): The deal is for “around” $37 million with deferrals that lower the present-day value, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that free agent 1B/OF Mark Trumbo is close to a deal with the Orioles. He first reported that the two sides were back in touch earlier on Thursday afternoon. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the deal is expected to be for three years and under $40 million.
Trumbo’s market hasn’t developed as he expected. The slugger turned down the Orioles’ $17.2 million qualifying offer back in November. Then the Orioles reportedly made a four-year contract offer to him in December but pulled it off the table. Most recently, a report indicated that Trumbo lowered his expectations to a three-year deal in the $40-50 million range.
Trumbo, 31, led the majors with 47 homers for the Orioles this past season. He also hit a solid .256/.316/.433 with 108 RBI in 667 plate appearances. With Trumbo back in the fold and some slight offensive upgrades made, the Orioles figure to have a formidable offense in 2017.
The Astros avoided arbitration with pitcher Mike Fiers, agreeing on a $3.45 million salary for the 2017 season, per Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle. The right-hander was in his first of three years of arbitration eligibility.
Fiers, 31, made 30 starts and one relief appearance for the Astros in 2016. He finished the year with a 4.48 ERA and a 134/42 K/BB ratio in 168 2/3 innings.
Fiers had a much better showing in 2015 as well as in limited action in 2014, so the Astros are hoping he rediscovers that effectiveness going forward. He’ll slot into the back of the starting rotation.