The Wilpons and Saul Katz have some familiar company in this Madoff mess.
According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, former Mets second baseman and current Triple-A Buffalo manager Tim Teufel is being sued for approximately $1.23 million in a clawback lawsuit filed by Madoff trustee Irving Picard.
According to the Daily News, the lawsuit alleges that Teufel reaped $1,219,463 in “fictitious profits” and made $13,000 from a different Madoff account.
Teufel, who is currently in spring training with the Mets as an instructor, had some brief comments on the matter for Adam Rubin of ESPN New York this morning:
“The whole thing here for me at this point is kind of in a place where people are taking care of this and I really can’t comment in a big way on anything [with] my involvement with the Madoff scandal at this point,” Teufel said. “But what I try to do professionally is not bring my personal life into the clubhouse. So I hope you guys can respect that part. I’m here to develop players, help them get to the big leagues. Being able to do the [Triple-A] Buffalo team this year, I’m excited about that, and am thrilled to be a part of something real big here. So I enjoy my job, and my time here with the Mets has been great. I feel for the Wilpon family with what they have to go through. I can certainly relate to their pain and anguish. So I’m here to leave my personal attitude and effects of what has happened in my family’s life out of the clubhouse and help develop players.”
As opposed to the lawsuit against the Wilpons and Katz, Picard is not alleging that Teufel knew or should have known about any illegal activity.
Andrew Miller leaving last night’s Indians-Red Sox game got all the press, but the Indians lost another key player in the game as well: Carlos Santana. He was forced to leave after going 0-for-3. There was no followup announcement after the game, so he’s likely being reevaluated.
Santana is hitting .250/.355/.446 on the year, but he’s been pretty hot of late, hitting .375 with a couple of homers in the past week.
On Sunday Phillies reliever Hector Neris hit Buster Posey in the back. Posey thought it was intentional and, after the game, said “I guess he didn’t feel he could get me out.”
Was it intentional? There’s a lot to suggest it wasn’t. Mostly the game situation: the Phillies had a two-run lead, but Neris was called in with two men on base and hitting Posey put the tying run in scoring position, which is not something a reliever usually wants to do with his first pitch of the game. Beyond that, while Neris and former Giant Eduardo Nunez had a bit of an incident earlier this season (Neris blew a kiss at Nunez after some words), there was no bad blood between Posey and Neris. When the pitch hit Posey in the back Neris seemed to react negatively, as if he didn’t mean to do it, and said as much after the game.
Oh well, it’s not uncommon for guys who get hit to be angry about it, even if it was uninentional. It’s not uncommon for guys who hit someone to say it was an accident, even if it wasn’t. You can file this one in the “unsolved” drawer forever, where it will be forgotten.
Or at least you could until Bruce Bochy weighed in yesterday, after the Phillies left town:
“It wasn’t just a little inside. The same guy — I’ll say it, he’s an idiot. He showed it in Philadelphia when he was having words with (Eduardo) Nuñez, so I think that caused the radar to be up a little bit on what happened there. It wasn’t a glancing blow. It was at his ribs and on the backside of his ribs. I’m not surprised. I would have been upset, too. You never know for sure, but it certainly didn’t look good. Anyway, that’s behind us.”
I guess it was, anyway. The Giants don’t face the Phillies again this year, but remember it for next year.