Adrian Gonzalez and the Red Sox continue to pretend that they don’t have a deal

23 Comments

The Adrian Gonzalez trade was prefaced by a negotiating window between Gonzaelz and the Red Sox. No contract was signed during that time, but it has been widely speculated that the sides agreed to a framework of a deal. Gonazalez spoke with the Providence Journal yesterday about that:

“We don’t have any set deadline. Hopefully, we can get it done sooner rather than later. But, from my end, I want to show them I’m healthy and I’m playing 100 percent out there.”

The Projo likewise spoke with Theo Epstein:

“It was well-documented that we had a lot of conversations during the window that led up to the trade. As we said at the time, we developed a lot of mutual trust and understanding, mutual faith that when the time is right, both sides will be able to sit down and be fair with each other and, hopefully, work something out.”

This is so cute. It will be even cuter when, almost immediately after Opening Day, they announce the deal they have likely reached but have not yet formally completed.  With Opening Day being relevant, of course, because announcing a new contract then and not now kicks the Red Sox’ luxury tax hit down the road a year.  They did the same thing with the Josh Beckett deal last season.

There’s no way to really prove this, of course.  It’s not like Major League Baseball is going to put people under oath in an effort to find out if the Sox and Gonzalez actually do have a deal in place. They’re not even going to investigate it. And, technically speaking, there’s no ink on a contract.

But it does feel like the system is being gamed a bit. Does that bug you?  It doesn’t keep me up at night or anything, but it kinda bugs me.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
5 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.