Rickie Weeks and the Brewers agree to $50 million extension

1 Comment

UPDATE: Rosenthal now says it’s a five-year deal worth $50 million, but the Brewers can void the fifth year if Weeks “is not an everyday player in 2013 and 2014.” That provision eliminates some of the health-related risks, but that’s still a huge investment in player who’s provided star-level value just once in five seasons.

===============

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported yesterday that Rickie Weeks and the Brewers were working on a contract extension for at least three and as many as five years, and now Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the two sides have agreed to a four-year deal with a team option for 2015.

No word yet on the money, but Haudricourt guesses it “would well exceed $30 million.” Weeks had been seeking $7.2 million in his third and final season of arbitration eligibility while the Brewers countered at $4.75 million. They had a hearing scheduled for tomorrow.

Weeks is coming off a career-year that saw him hit .269 with 29 homers, 112 runs, and an .830 OPS. He also stayed totally healthy for the first time, playing 160 games after averaging just 95 games in his first five seasons. Given his injury history committing to Weeks long term is a sizable risk for the Brewers, but he’ll be just 31 years old in the fourth season of the deal and when healthy he’s among the best-hitting second basemen in baseball. Plus, this allows them to avoid letting Weeks walk as a free agent along with Prince Fielder next offseason.

Mariners activate Robinson Cano from the disabled list

Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Mariners announced that second baseman Robinson Cano has been activated from the disabled list in time for Tuesday’s game against the Nationals in Washington. Cano spent the minimum 10 days on the disabled list with a strained right quadriceps.

Taylor Motter got most of the playing time at second base while Cano was out. Mike Freeman did get a couple of starts there as well.

Cano resumes batting .296/.362/.533 with eight home runs and 28 RBI in 152 plate appearances on the season.

Former outfielder Anthony Gose is throwing 99 m.p.h. fastballs in the minors

Getty Images
7 Comments

Anthony Gose played for five seasons as an outfielder in the big leagues. He never hit well enough to be a regular, and a series of altercations with his minor league managers and coaches didn’t do too much for his future either.

His fastball, however, may eventually make up for all of that.

Toward the end of spring training it was reported that Gose would begin work as a pitcher. Given that he was a highly regarded high school pitching prospect with a plus fastball, it wasn’t a crazy notion. When Tigers camp broke, Gose stayed in Lakeland in extended spring training, throwing bullpen sessions and stuff.

Now he’s seeing game action. As the Detroit Free Press reports, Gose threw an inning for the Class-A Lakeland Flying Tigers against the Palm Beach Cardinals last night. He allowed one run on one hit with one strikeout and one walk, lighting up the radar gun at 99 m.p.h. This is the tweet from Lakeland’s assistant general manager:

The Free Press says that the Tigers’ vice president of player development, Dave Littlefield, is “very optimistic” about Gose’s progress.

Given that he’s still only 26 and he’s a lefty it wouldn’t shock me at all if he makes his way back to the bigs someday soon.