This is interesting. I’m not sure it’s true, but it’s interesting. A couple of guys told Deadspin that they got locked in Camden Yards after a rain postponement last year and turned the place into their own private playground:
Needing a few more drinks, we made our way towards the walking street in the ballpark, Eutaw St. Here is the world famous Boog’s Barbeque Stand where during games you can get draft beer, barbeque, burgers and dogs. Being a bit thirsty and hungry we decided to rummage around and see what we could find. The coolers were locked, but we found cheese, hamburger buns, and semi-hot grill at our disposal and proceeded to make our fill of grilled cheese. While we’re eating our grilled cheese, I decide to test the taps (all the handles have been removed) and to my surprise, cold frothy beer came pouring out. For about the next hour and a half we ate grilled cheese and drank draft Bud Light while it poured down rain.
There are some photos sent by the guys and allegedly taken during their inadvertent trespassing. It sounds like they had fun.
The only reason for me to give pause is that it’s Deadspin, they’re not 100% convinced it was real and they tend not to err on the side of skepticism on that site. But really, I don’t see any reason besides that to doubt it. It’s not like the claims in the story or the photos are over the top. I’ve never gone exploring in a ballpark, but there was a time in my life not too long ago when I made a habit out of walking in places I shouldn’t be to see if I could get away with it. It’s amazing how much you can get away with, even in these high-security-high-anxiety times, if you play it cool and generally look like you belong.
In short: I’m buying it. And even if it turns out to not be true, it’s fun reading anyway.
Ben Cafardo of the Boston Globe speculated on Sunday that there might be a connection between the Giants and veteran free agent right-hander John Lackey, and now FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that San Francisco is indeed in pursuit.
Rosenthal says the Giants, “like most clubs seeking pitching, [are] examining [a] wide range of options” in this starter-heavy free agent market. Lackey would make a ton of sense for any contender on something like a two-year deal. His free agency is tied to draft pick compensation, but that shouldn’t be much of a deterrent.
The 37-year-old right-hander registered a career-best 2.77 ERA across 218 innings (33 starts) this past season for the National League Central-champion Cardinals and he was St. Louis’ most reliable starter during the playoffs.
It’s well known that he wants to remain in the National League.
As first reported by beat writer Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels have signed free agent catcher Geovany Soto to a one-year major league contract. MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez says the deal is worth $2.8 million guaranteed.
Soto will offer some veteran presence at catcher for the Halos alongside 25-year-old Carlos Perez, who hit .250/.299/.346 as a rookie in 2015.
Soto slashed .219/.301/.406 with nine homers in 78 games this summer for the White Sox.
The 32-year-old backstop is a .246/.331/.434 career hitter at the major league level.
According to the official Twitter account of the Chicago White Sox, the club acquired right-hander Tommy Kahnle from the Rockies on Tuesday evening in exchange for minor league pitcher Yency Almonte.
Kahnle was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week in a flurry of moves made in preparation of next month’s Rule 5 Draft. The 26-year-old former fifth-round pick posted an ugly 4.86 ERA, 1.77 WHIP, and 39/28 K/BB ratio in 33 1/3 innings this past season for Colorado and he wasn’t much better at Triple-A Albuquerque.
Almonte, 21, had a 3.41 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, and 110/38 K/BB ratio in 137 1/3 innings this past season between Low-A Kannapolis and High-A Winston-Salem.
It’s a straight one-for-one deal of two non-prospects, and the timing of it — in the evening, with Thanksgiving approaching — has our Craig Calcaterra wondering whether an executive was just trying to get out of some family responsibilities …
The other day Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the Padres were in discussions with former Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire about their bench coach job. Today Jon Heyman reports that the deal is done and will soon be announced.
McGwire has been the hitting coach for Los Angeles for the past three seasons. When his contract was not renewed following the end of 2015 he was rumored to be up for the Diamondbacks’ hitting coach job. He likely view staying in Southern California to be a plus, as he makes his home in Irvine, which is around 90 miles from Petco Park. That’s a long commute, but Mac can afford the gas, I guess.