MLK III is not really leading any investor group for the Mets

6 Comments

From the Daily News we learn that, for all of the weekend hubub, Martin Luther King III’s role in any potential Mets investor group would be quite limited:

The son of the slain civil rights leader said reports that he is leading a group to buy a share of the Mets have been greatly exaggerated … King said he may indeed join a group of investors interested in the Mets, but he made it clear that he is not leading the effort and Monday, King’s potential partners were already downplaying his involvement in a group that hopes to buy 50% or more of the franchise.

[Larry] Meli told the Daily News that King might be the face of the group, but he won’t be the wallet. “He’s not a deep-pocket financial guy,” said Meli, a television executive. “In his mind, he’s not even the lead guy. But given his reputation and legacy, his name has percolated to the surface.”

At the risk of me being even more cynical than I typically am, I’m inclined to believe that whoever is the wallet of the this alleged investors’ group is using King’s name for press and gravitas.

Report: Royals sign Neftali Feliz

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
1 Comment

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Royals have signed free agent reliever Neftali Feliz, pending a physical. The Brewers designated Feliz for assignment last week and released him on Monday.

Feliz, 29, opened the season as the Brewers’ closer, but struggled and was eventually taken out of the role in mid-May, giving way to Corey Knebel. In 29 appearances spanning 27 innings with the Brewers, Feliz posted a 6.00 ERA with a 21/15 K/BB ratio.

The Royals have had bullpen issues of their own, so Feliz will try to provide some stability given his track record. It’s not clear yet if the Royals want to let Feliz get his feet wet at Triple-A or throw him right into the bullpen mix.

Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base upon return from DL

Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images
1 Comment

Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.

Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.

In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).