Vladimir Guerrero

UPDATE: Orioles aren’t willing to budge from current offer for Vladimir Guerrero

5 Comments

UPDATE: According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Orioles want Vladimir Guerrero, but only on their terms. He reports the total worth of the O’s offer is somewhere around $4.5-5 million. I would assume that includes a lower base salary with some incentives.

7:15 PM, Friday: Well, this act is getting old. According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, the Orioles are “not close” to a contract with Guerrero. A source tells her they’d be “shocked” if there’s an announcement for tomorrow’s annual FanFest event.

The funny part is that Olney writes that the O’s are being told Guerrero currently has an $8 million offer, including incentives. Who knows if the offer is even legitimate, but I’m going to guess that over 60 percent of the money is incentive-based.

I’m not sure Vlad has many real options left, so wake me when it’s over.

6:38 PM, Friday: According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, Vladimir Guerrero is “making progress” in his talks with the Orioles.

Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reported yesterday that Guerrero was “not excited” about his offer from the Orioles, which he reported was somewhere around $2 million. Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com later suggested that it was somewhere in the low-end of the $3-5 million range, but added that the Orioles weren’t going to increase their offer.

The Orioles should have the upper hand in negotiations, given the lack of options for Guerrero at this point, but perhaps they are willing to add more in performance-based incentives to make it worth his while.

Guerrero, who turns 36 in February, would become the regular designated hitter for the Orioles, pushing Luke Scott to left field. The Orioles have been looking for another starting pitcher all offseason, so they could presumably dangle either Felix Pie or Nolan Reimold as a trade chip.

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
4 Comments

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
7 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.