After originally seeking a two-year, $16 million contract Vladimir Guerrero has lowered his demands to one year and $8 million, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Guerrero earned $6.5 million in 2010 via a one-year deal with the Rangers and slumped down the stretch before struggling mightily in the playoffs, so with plenty of other veteran designated hitter options on the market this offseason he had little chance of ever securing a two-year offer.
And now that most teams have filled their DH openings the odds of him getting $8 million in 2011 are pretty slim too. Rosenthal notes that the Orioles remain interested in Guerrero but deem that price too high, which jibes with the report from Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that they’ve spoken to Guerrero’s agent recently but “the two sides are not close to a deal.”
Had he been seeking a one-year deal from the start of the offseason Guerrero may have landed a full-time gig already–and potentially could have returned to Texas–but dropping his asking price after a half-dozen other veteran bats have found homes and the Rangers are completely out of the mix to re-sign him could leave him choosing between part-time jobs in addition to less money.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.