A couple of weeks ago we learned that Joe Torre was considering taking Sandy Alderson’s gig with Major League Baseball. Today it’s reported that he’s learning towards accepting it. Or at least something like it:
Joe Torre may not stay retired much longer.
The former Los Angeles Dodgers manager says he’s leaning toward accepting a job with Commissioner Bud Selig that would allow him to stay in Los Angeles. Torre told The Associated Press on Monday that he’s still resolving some questions he has and that he expects to decide in the next two-to-three weeks.
I presume he and Andy Pettitte plan to have long, drawn out telephone conversations about it all.
Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.
He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.
Fresh off his season-ending pitching debut, Ichiro Suzuki has decided to re-sign with the Marlins for 2016.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that an official announcement will be made later today,
Suzuki was one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .229 with one homer and a .561 OPS in 153 games as a semi-regular for the Marlins at age 41. He hasn’t topped a .700 OPS since 2010, hitting a combined .268 with a .304 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 769 games during the past five seasons.
He’s also just 65 hits short of reaching 3,000 for his MLB career and presumably the Marlins like being involved in that upcoming milestone and having the well-liked future Hall of Famer in the clubhouse to keep him around in what will no doubt be a lesser role.