Remember Josh Lueke? The Mariners should beware of creating a double standard

9 Comments

Earlier this morning I talked about whether the Mariners will try to void Milton Bradley’s deal.  As reader Sean Boulton noted on Twitter last night, however, they wouldn’t even consider it if they keep true to form. Heck, they wouldn’t even cut him.

Remember the Josh Lueke controversy? He was one of the players sent from Texas to Seattle in the Cliff Lee deal. In 2008 Lueke faced rape and sodomy charges in California, pleaded no contest after the cops figured out he was lying his butt off to them about the incident and was sentenced to 40 days in jail.  While some front office types in Seattle claimed they didn’t know about it at the time of the trade, former Mariners pitching coach Rick Adair said he told GM Jack Zduriencik about Lueke’s troubles “well before the deal.”

The Mariners were so embarrassed about it all that someone in the organization felt it necessary to lie and/or dissemble about it. And of course, Lueke and his 96 m.p.h fastball are still on the team.

If I’m Milton Bradley, and the Mariners try to do something to me on character and citizenship grounds after I have only been accused of a crime — and the crime is less serious than the one for which Leuke was convicted — I get pretty damn huffy. And if I’m the Mariners and I want to do something about Bradley at this point, I prepare myself to answer a hell of a lot of questions about double standards when it comes to violence and the threat thereof.

Not that they don’t already have one. As Geoff Baker has noted in the past, the Mariners have been out front in the community supporting groups and initiatives aimed at putting a stop to violence against women. This has led to a zero-tolerance policy on the part of the team which has in turn led to players being sent out of town on a rail before. A policy that was apparently ignored in Lueke’s case.

My guess: the Mariners do nothing to Bradley.

David Price’s season debut could be pushed back to May

Getty Images
1 Comment

David Price showed “strength improvements” in his elbow on Saturday, but Red Sox’ manager John Farrell still doesn’t think the left-hander will be ready to throw by the start of the season — or for a few weeks afterward. According to ESPN’s Scott Lauber, the 31-year-old might not be ready to debut until May at the earliest.

Price hasn’t thrown off of a mound this spring after experiencing soreness in his left elbow on March 1. Surgery doesn’t appear to be necessary, but the Red Sox are playing it extra safe with their No. 3 starter in hopes that rest and rehabilitation will return him to full health sometime during the 2017 season. For now, Price has been restricted to short games of catch until he’s cleared to resume a more rigorous throwing program. Via MLB.com’s Ian Browne:

[There were] strength improvements to the point of putting the ball back in his hand a little more consistently,” said manager John Farrell. “Today’s the first step for that. A short game of catch. That’s what he’s going through. Not off a mound but just to get the arm moving with a ball in flight, and he will continue in this phase for a period of time. There’s no set distance and volume yet to the throws.

The lefty is coming off of a lackluster 2016 season, during which he delivered a 3.99 ERA, 2.0 BB/9 and 8.9 SO/9 over 230 innings for the Red Sox.

Yadier Molina will not enter contract negotiations during the 2017 season

Getty Images
3 Comments

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals’ catcher Yadier Molina is still open to extension talks during the last week of spring training. Once Opening Day rolls around, however, Molina has preemptively nixed any contract negotiations until the end of the 2017 season, when he’s scheduled to hit free agency.

Molina wants to stay with the Cardinals, or so he’s telling reporters, but he’s also “not afraid” to test the free agent market this fall should a deal fail to materialize. Via Goold:

I would love to stay, but at the same time I’m not afraid to go to free agency. I’ve still got many years in the tank. Believe me. I feel great. I feel like a 20-year-old kid. I’m not afraid to go to free agency.

The 34-year-old backstop is entering his final year under contract, though Goold points out that he has a $15 million option for 2018 that he can choose to decline in the event that it’s exercised by the team. He’s reportedly searching for a figure closer to those made by other top catchers like Buster Posey and Russell Martin.

The 2017 season will mark Molina’s 14th year in the Cardinals’ organization, building on a career that has spanned seven All-Star campaigns, nine postseason runs and two World Series championships in St. Louis. He batted .307/.360/.427 with eight home runs and a .787 OPS for the club in 2016.