Jon Heyman reports that, in addition to the Yankees and the Rockies, the Tampa Bay Rays are now talking to Andruw Jones.
Jones hit .230/.341/.486 with 19 home runs and 49 RBI for the White Sox last season, but is line against lefties — .256/.373./.558 — is pretty attractive for a lot of teams. He’d certainly have more opportunities to hit in Tampa Bay than he would in New York — where Jorge Posada is going to be the everyday DH — or Colorado, where Jones would have to play more defense in a big outfield that would kill a lot of his value.
By the way, the fact that I feel really weird talking about Andruw Jones as a defensive liability is perhaps the best evidence that, as time goes on, I find myself stuck in the 1990s more and more. Well, that and the fact that I watched a bunch of X-Files episodes last night. There was a time when Andruw Jones was the best outfielder in baseball. There was a time when cell phones were a foot long. There was a time when I considered quitting law school and leaving my wife so I could stalk Gillian Anderson full time.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.