UPDATE: Several other reporters including Buster Olney and Marc Topkin are now following up on DRaysBay’s report, an expanded version of which you can see here. Of course none of these other people are actually crediting DRaysBay from what I’ve seen because bloggers apparently don’t know nothin’ never, but it does appear that their report has been borne out.
10:57 AM: DRaysBay is reporting that Kyle Farnsworth and the Rays have agreed to a deal. It hasn’t been confirmed by team or player yet. Indeed, Drays Bay is still working to verify it themselves, as it could be a misfire rumor. Could be legit. Could just be every Yankees and Red Sox fan’s fantasy.
Ah, I can’t gin up any real Farnsworth hate. He’s a useful guy if you don’t (a) think he can still throw 100 m.p.h.; (b) think he can handle high-leverage situations; or (c) pay him anything approaching real money. He’s an arm with some things to recommend it, even if it does make you sick when he’s your team’s big move at the trade deadline. The Rays could use him. Lots of teams could.
And besides, if Farnsworth continues to pitch, he’s guaranteed to get more features over at The Dugout, and that’s comedy gold.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.