The Alfredo Simon case gets uglier and uglier

8 Comments

Friend-of-HBT Nick Collias has been reading about the Alfredo Simon case in the Spanish language press and passes along a coupe of articles that show just how sordid this business is getting:

According to this report by Yoel Adames of ESPN Deportes, the mother of the victim, Michel Castillo, Alfredo Simon tried to bribe the family in order to get them to drop the charges:

“We’ve come so that justice will be done, because we understand that people are in support of him being released, and we want justice. He has offered money, but money doesn’t pay for the death of my son. My son’s death is non-negotiable.”

Castillo’s mother claims that, contrary to many of the reports we’ve seen, Simon and Castillo were not friends.  She also claims that Simon was indifferent to the fact that Castillo was shot, shrugged it all off and went on to a club after the shooting.  It’s about 18-levels of hearsay, but Castillo’s mother says she was told that Simon said “what do I care?” at the scene.

There are two sides to every story, however. According to this report, a cousin of Simon’s who was at the scene says that “More people were shooting in the air at the scene, but in the eye of the public it’s my cousin’s fault because he’s a ball player and they want him to be guilty.”  Another person at the scene says this:

“Alfredo Simon isn’t guilty, what’s happening is that [the victim’s family] wants to get involved because they envy [Simon] because he is young and is beginning to have money.”

Everyone’s emotions here are strong. There may also be agenda in play on both sides.  All I know is that every time we hear something new about this case it gets sadder and sadder.

(Thanks again to Nick Collias for bringing these reports to my attention and for translating them)

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
5 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.