Carlos Gonzalez rockies

Rockies will not confirm reports of extension for Carlos Gonzalez

2 Comments

According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Venezuelan newspaper El Nacional is reporting that Carlos Gonzalez is about to a sign a multi-year contract extension with the Rockies worth somewhere around “$78 or 80 million.”

Meanwhile, the Rockies aren’t saying much. Harding reached a club official who would only say that there has been an offer on the table for some time.

Of course, there’s reason to be skeptical here.

Just a little over one week ago, Harding writes that a radio commentator in Venezuela reported that Gonzalez had reached a seven-year, $80 million contract with the Rockies, but multiple reporters from Venezuela dismissed the report as untrue.

Oh, and perhaps I should also mention that Gonzalez is represented by Scott Boras. Boras doesn’t usually allow clubs to buy out his clients’ free agent years, so while not impossible, a long-term contract extension would at least be out of character. By the way, the 25-year-old Gonzalez is under team control through 2014 and won’t even be arbitration-eligible until after the 2011 season.

Billy Butler activated from the 7-day concussion disabled list

OAKLAND, CA - JULY 24: Billy Butler #16 of the Oakland Athletics celebrates a solo homerun in the bottom of the eighth inning to regain the lead against the Tampa Bay Rays at the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum on July 24, 2016 in Oakland, California.  (Photo by Don Feria/Getty Images)
1 Comment

The Oakland Athletics have activated DH Billy Butler from the 7-day concussion disabled list.

Butler, you’ll recall, suffered a concussion last weekend in a clubhouse fight with teammate Danny Valencia. The two have since apologized to each other and to the A’s organization for creating what would, if everyone’s being honest, serve as the dramatic peak of the A’s disappointing year.

Speaking of disappointing, Butler is hitting.286/.338/.419 with four homers and 30 RBI in 228 plate appearances this season.

Tim Tebow to work out for 15-20 teams

ARLINGTON, TX - DECEMBER 31:  Broadcaster Tim Tebow of the SEC Network speaks on air before the Goodyear Cotton Bowl at AT&T Stadium on December 31, 2015 in Arlington, Texas.  (Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images)
Getty Images
5 Comments

FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi reports that Tim Tebow’s baseball workout, which will take place tomorrow in Los Angeles, will be attended by scouts from “roughly half” of the 30 major league teams. Morosi noted in a later tweet that a lot of the people going to see the workout are people “with influence.” That could mean that people are taking him seriously. It could mean that people want to gawk. The proof will ultimately be in the pudding.

As we’ve noted, Tebow is 29 and he asn’t played competitive baseball since high school. While some people who have watched him work out have said complimentary things about his preparation and approach, an anonymous scout told ESPN.com last week that Tebow’s swing is so long it might “take out the front row.”

Color us skeptical until someone who works for a club, as opposed to people who have been invited to coach him, pitch to him or work out with him, says that Tebow has a chance.