Don Corleone and Sonny

Ozzie Guillen’s son needs a time out

8 Comments

In that MLB.com interview yesterday former White Sox’ closer Bobby Jenks said that he “was looking forward to playing for a manager who knows how to run a bullpen.”  Not the best thing to say about Ozzie Guillen — and probably not true, because I think Ozzie actually does a pretty good overall in terms of bullpen management — but as far as slams go, it was a mild one. And one that you just know Ozzie Guillen doesn’t care a lick about because he doesn’t care a lick about anything like that.

But apparently Ozzie’s son Oney Guillen thinks that Jenks was way out of line. And in his typically mature fashion, he took to Twitter last night to rip Jenks.  Among the highlights: ripping Jenks for being a drinker and having marital problems. Saying that if it wasn’t for Jenks “freddy garcia would have like 17 wins and the sox would have beat the twins.” Calling Jenks a “punk” and a “coward.” He went on and on, accusing Jenks of hitting a clubhouse attendant in the face, hoping that Jenks gets drilled if he ever gets to bat and calling him every other name in the book.

You’ll recall that Oney Guillen was fired from his do-nothing job with the White Sox last spring after some other intemperate tweets. At the time Ozzie Guillen said he wasn’t pleased with his son and that he had spoken to him “about how to express his opinion.”  I’m guessing those lessons didn’t sink in. He still talks when he shouldn’t be.  It’s this kind of thing that caused Solozzo to put a hit out on the Don, for crying out loud.

I do hope that Ozzie has saved and invested his money well, though, and that he has provided for Oney in his will.  Because based on everything we’ve seen from him, this kid is 100% unemployable.

Report: Padres working on trading Andrew Cashner

ST. LOUIS, MO - JULY 21: Starter Derek Norris #3 of the San Diego Padres pitches against the St. Louis Cardinals in the first inning at Busch Stadium on July 21, 2016 in St. Louis, Missouri.  (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)
Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
17 Comments

Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Padres are working to trade starter Andrew Cashner. He notes that a deal may be consummated before he takes the hill for Tuesday’s start in Toronto against the Blue Jays. The Marlins, Orioles, and Rangers have had reported interest in Cashner.

Cashner is 4-7 with a 4.79 ERA and a 61/27 K/BB ratio in 73 1/3 innings. He missed over three weeks between June 11 and July 2 due to a strained neck.

The right-hander is earning $9.625 million this season and will be eligible for free agency after the season.

Nationals activate Ryan Zimmerman from the disabled list

LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 22:  Ryan Zimmerman #11 of the Washington Nationals reacts to his run to tie the score 1-1 with the Los Angeles Dodgers during the second inning at Dodger Stadium on June 22, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Harry How/Getty Images
3 Comments

The Nationals announced on Tuesday that the club activated first baseman Ryan Zimmerman from the 15-day disabled list. Zimmerman had been out since July 7 with a strained rib cage on the left side.

Zimmerman has been inserted in the sixth spot in Tuesday’s lineup against the Indians. The veteran went on the DL with a lackluster .221/.284/.402 triple-slash line with 12 home runs and 38 RBI in 313 plate appearances.

Clint Robinson and Daniel Murphy split time at first base in Zimmerman’s absence, which allowed Trea Turner to get regular playing time at second base. Turner will play center field on Tuesday night.

The Nationals also activated pitcher Sammy Solis from the disabled list. Solis had been out since July 7 with inflammation in his right knee.