The City of Oakland decides to flush $750,000 down the toilet

2 Comments

Earlier this month we passed along word that the City of Oakland was developing a ballpark plan for the A’s. It was facing a dilemma, however because of Major League Baseball’s continued dithering on the whole can-the-A’s-play-in-San Jose issue.  Should the city spend the money for an environmental impact assessment when it’s unclear whether the team has any intention whatsoever to stay in town? As of Tuesday, the city council’s answer is yes:

The Oakland City Council voted Tuesday to spend as much as $750,000 on an environmental study for a new ballpark, even though the owner of the A’s is trying to move the team to San Jose … Councilman Ignacio De La Fuente, the plan’s most vocal opponent, said it is foolhardy to spend money for a study when there is no commitment from A’s owner Lew Wolff or Major League Baseball to keep the team in Oakland. He was joined by Councilwoman Nancy Nadel in saying that the city should not fund the report.

“Let’s also be realistic about Major League Baseball’s tactics and how they play,” De La Fuente said. “I think they’re trying to play off one seat against the other in order to get the best deal they can (between Oakland and San Jose).”

People in Oakland should listen to Ignacio De La Fuente. The only way the A’s will consider staying in Oakland at this point is if the Giants simply insist that they can’t be bought and make it clear that their threats of litigation in the event the A’s try to move to San Jose are serious.

Before that?  This environmental study will simply be used by the A’s as leverage to extract a little something extra out of San Jose. Or, best case scenario, will be a simple waste of taxpayer dollars.

Tigers, Jose Iglesias agree to $6.275 million salary for 2018, avoiding arbitration

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Tigers announced on Wednesday evening that the club and shortstop Jose Iglesias agreed on a contract for the 2018 season, avoiding arbitration. Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press reports that it’s a one-year deal worth $6.275 million.

Iglesias, 28, was eligible for arbitration for the third and final time, which means he can become a free agent after the upcoming season. This past season, he hit a light .255/.288/.369 in 489 plate appearances. However, both defensive metrics and scouts paint him as an above-average defender at shortstop.

The rebuilding Tigers are still reportedly trying to trade Iglesias. The club already traded veteran second baseman Ian Kinsler this offseason. During last season, the Tigers moved J.D. Martinez, Alex Avila, Justin Upton, and Justin Verlander.