The New York Yankees have been crowing about how frugal they are lately. Seriously.
First, general manager Brian Cashman talked about how his team’s luxury tax tab was reduced to $18 million this season. “Atta baby. And right now we’re in the $170s,” he said, referring to a 2011 salary number that could actually fall beneath the luxury tax threshold. Not exactly a bunch of penny pinchers, you say? But wait, there’s more.
Also on Tuesday, the Bombers went out and signed a player off of Hank Steinbrenner’s youth team.
The New York Yankees have signed 19-year-old Leonel Vinas to a minor league contract. The right-hander from Long Island was the ace of Hank’s Yanks, a team sponsored by Steinbrenner, co-chairman of the Yankees.
Vinas, who moved to Long Island from the Dominican Republic at age 11, was 12-0 with a 1.12 ERA and 168 strikeouts in 84 innings for “Hank’s Yanks,” according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com.
Pretty cool story, and Vinas called the chance to play in the Yankee organization a dream come true. He’ll report to Tampa in two weeks to begin his professional career, and will probably start in Rookie ball as a reliever.
Cashman, for his part, made it clear that the signing was not a gimmick move. “This is real,” he told Hoch. “He’s got talent. We’re looking forward to seeing where the talent takes him.”
You can follow Bob on Twitter, and get all your HBT updates here.
The Rockies activated first baseman Ian Desmond from the 10-day disabled list on Sunday, the club announced. Cristhian Adames was designated for assignment to create roster space. Desmond is in Sunday’s lineup against the Diamondbacks, batting sixth.
Desmond, 31, signed a five-year, $70 million contract with the Rockies in December. In March, he was unfortunately hit by a pitch and suffered a broken left hand. He underwent surgery to repair the damage.
Desmond had been playing in extended spring training as a precursor to rehab games, but he looked so good that the Rockies decided to activate him from the disabled list a little early.
This wasn’t how Aaron Sanchez was supposed to make his triumphant return from the disabled list. The Blue Jays’ right-hander was activated for his first start on Sunday after undergoing a minor surgical procedure to have part of his fingernail removed. According to MLB.com’s Gregor Chisholm, the surgery should have accelerated the healing process for a troublesome blister, and the team appeared confident in the right-hander’s ability to take the mound for the tail end of their homestand. Instead, Sanchez lasted just 13 pitches before exiting the game with a split nail on his right middle finger.
The team has yet to address Sanchez’s revised timetable for return, but Chisholm points out that they should be able to roll with their current rotation through May 9. If he sits out longer, the Jays could turn to left-hander J.A. Happ, who should be eligible to start sometime next month after he makes a full recovery from a bout of left elbow inflammation.
Sanchez, 24, entered Sunday with a 4.38 ERA, 2.9 BB/9 and 6.6 SO/9 through 12 1/3 innings with Toronto. He was replaced by right-handed reliever Ryan Tepera in the top of the second inning.