dayton moore-thumb-200x195-5871

Dayton Moore: Zack Greinke wasn’t interested in contract extension


Just in case there was any doubt that Zack Greinke had run out of patience with losing, Royals general manager Dayton Moore told reporters yesterday that the club tried to engage him in talks for a long-term contract extension, but their efforts were rebuffed (via Matthew Leach and Dick Kaegel of

“We would love to be sitting here discussing a long-term contract with Zack Greinke,” Moore said. “You want to hold on to your best players forever. That’s a formula for winning championships, as well. But there has to be a willing partner to go forward with that. We actually went down that trail and discussed that trail with Zack long-term, and it was apparent that that wasn’t something that he wanted to do.”

Greinke actually signed a four-year, $38 million extension with the Royals in January of last year. It was a huge commitment on the part of the Royals at the time — remember, Greinke was a little over two years removed from missing most of the 2006 season due to an anxiety condition — but keep in mind that without that extension, he would have been a free agent this winter. Could you imagine what kind of salary he would have commanded in this environment?

Shawn Tolleson becomes a free agent

Leave a comment

The Rangers outrighted reliever Shawn Tolleson off the 40-man roster on Wednesday. Rather than accept the assignment to Triple-A Round Rock, Tolleson has opted to become a free agent, Rangers executive VP of communications John Blake reports.

Tolleson, 28, emerged as a closer for the Rangers in 2015, but his follow-up campaign this year was dreadful. He finished with a 7.68 ERA and a 29/10 K/BB ratio in 36 1/3 innings. He eventually went on the 60-day disabled list with a back injury.

Despite the nightmarish season, it’s easy to see a team deciding to take a flier on Tolleson for the 2017 season.

Indians strongly considering starting Carlos Santana in left field sans DH

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 19:  Carlos Santana #41 of the Cleveland Indians celebrates after hitting a solo home run in the third inning against Marco Estrada #25 of the Toronto Blue Jays during game five of the American League Championship Series at Rogers Centre on October 19, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Elsa/Getty Images
1 Comment

Indians slugger Carlos Santana hasn’t played in the outfield in a major league game since 2012, but the Indians are strongly considering starting him in left field for Game 3 of the World Series at Wrigley Field on Friday,’s Jordan Bastian reports. As the game is hosted in a National League park, there is no DH rule in effect, so the Indians might otherwise have to keep Santana on the bench.

Santana is hitless in six at-bats in the World Series thus far, but he has drawn two walks. He has overall not had a great postseason, carrying an aggregate .564 OPS in 40 plate appearances since the beginning of the playoffs. Still, during the regular season, he had an .865 OPS so he can certainly be a threat on offense at any given moment.