renteria head

Renteria’s agent says quotes were “inaccurate representation”

1 Comment

Edgar Renteria’s agent is doing his best best to soften the blow of his client’s recent quotes about San Francisco’s “disrespectful” one-year, $1 million contract offer.

The agent, Barry Meister, contacted the Giants’ front office on Friday and called the comments an “inaccurate representation” of the veteran’s shortstop’s feelings.  Meister said that Renteria is still very interested in a reunion with the world champs.

But it doesn’t feel like that’s going to happen, and it sounds like Meister’s attempt to diffuse the matter didn’t exactly hit home with the Giants.

Assistant general manager Bobby Evans told the San Francisco Chronicle on Friday that, “something doesn’t add up when you read Renteria’s quotes and yet the agent insists that Edgar has no problem with the Giants.”

Renteria, 35, batted just .276/.332/.374 over 243 at-bats in 2010 for San Francisco and has lost a step or two defensively.  He would have been (or will be) a bench player on the 2011 edition of the Giants, so the $1 million offer is far from disrespectful.

But it might not matter anyway.  The two sides sound like they’re ready for a split.

Report: Mark Trumbo signs three-year, $37.5 million contract with Orioles

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 04:  Mark Trumbo #45 of the Baltimore Orioles runs the bases after hitting a two-run home run in the fourth inning against the Toronto Blue Jays during the American League Wild Card game at Rogers Centre on October 4, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images)
Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images
1 Comment

Update #2 (6:21 PM EST): Make that $37.5 million, per Heyman.

*

Update (6:02 PM EST): The deal is for “around” $37 million with deferrals that lower the present-day value, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.

*

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that free agent 1B/OF Mark Trumbo is close to a deal with the Orioles. He first reported that the two sides were back in touch earlier on Thursday afternoon. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the deal is expected to be for three years and under $40 million.

Trumbo’s market hasn’t developed as he expected. The slugger turned down the Orioles’ $17.2 million qualifying offer back in November. Then the Orioles reportedly made a four-year contract offer to him in December but pulled it off the table. Most recently, a report indicated that Trumbo lowered his expectations to a three-year deal in the $40-50 million range.

Trumbo, 31, led the majors with 47 homers for the Orioles this past season. He also hit a solid .256/.316/.433 with 108 RBI in 667 plate appearances. With Trumbo back in the fold and some slight offensive upgrades made, the Orioles figure to have a formidable offense in 2017.

Astros avoid arbitration with Mike Fiers

SEATTLE, WA - SEPTEMBER 17: Starting pitcher Mike Fiers #54 of the Houston Astros walks to the dugout after pitching an inning during a game against the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on September 17, 2016 in Seattle, Washington. The Astros won the game 2-1. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)
Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Astros avoided arbitration with pitcher Mike Fiers, agreeing on a $3.45 million salary for the 2017 season, per Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle. The right-hander was in his first of three years of arbitration eligibility.

Fiers, 31, made 30 starts and one relief appearance for the Astros in 2016. He finished the year with a 4.48 ERA and a 134/42 K/BB ratio in 168 2/3 innings.

Fiers had a much better showing in 2015 as well as in limited action in 2014, so the Astros are hoping he rediscovers that effectiveness going forward. He’ll slot into the back of the starting rotation.