Edgar Renteria is insulted by the Giants’ offer

10 Comments

Noted: ballplayers don’t necessarily appreciate that postseason heroics are often flukey things that don’t serve as a fair representation of their current value. Case in point: Edgar Renteria’s response to the Giants’ offer of one year, $1 million:

“That offer from the Giants was a lack of respect. A total disrespect. To play for a million dollars, I’d rather stay with my private business and share more time with my family. Thank God I’m well off financially and my money is well invested.”

I’m not going to buy the “lack of respect,” angle because, really, that’s not a terribly unfair offer for Renteria at this point, especially seeing as though he’d be a bench player given the Miguel Tejada signing. But it may very well be more cost-effective for Renteria to attend to his businesses than it would be to play baseball for a million dollars. Based on some stuff I’ve read elsewhere, he’s quite the mogul.

He says that if he doesn’t find a better offer someplace that he’ll just stay home. The Marlins are reportedly interested in him, but I’m having a hard time seeing him get a substantially better offer there or anywhere else for that matter.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.