BoSox went seven years for Lee? Halos lowballed Crawford?

16 Comments

FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that one of those two mystery seven-year offers for Cliff Lee came from the Red Sox before the team signed Carl Crawford.

An official with another team told Rosenthal that the Red Sox made the offer, but that it wasn’t for a comparable salary to what Lee figured to be offered elsewhere. The idea perhaps was to give Lee a seven-year deal to shop around, most notably to the Yankees. It’d be gamesmanship at its best.

As for the Angels’ offer to Crawford, a source told Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News that it was seven years and $108 million, a full $34 million less than he got from the Red Sox.

We’re pretty skeptical of that info; $108 million for seven years works out to $15.42 million per season. Possibly they offered $15 million per year for seven years and then a $3 million buyout as part of an eighth-year option. That’d be a hard offer to take seriously in this climate, though.

More likely is that Feinsand’s source was a bit off and the Angels offered $108 million for six years, or $18 million per year. That’s a substantial proposal, though it certainly wasn’t likely to get the job done after Jayson Werth got that same $18 million per year for seven seasons.

Someone stole the bat from the Ken Griffey, Jr. statue at Safeco Field

Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
3 Comments

The Mariners unveiled a statue of Hall of Fame outfielder Ken Griffey, Jr. earlier this year at Safeco Field, featuring the slugger in his famous follow-through seen after each of his 630 career home runs. Chris Daniels of KING 5 News in Seattle reported on Tuesday evening that someone had stolen the bat from the statue.

Thankfully, the Seattle Police Department announced that the bat has been recovered and a suspect has been arrested. They expect to provide more details later. Daniels reports the Mariners have confirmed the news.

My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.