Mariners sign A’s castoff Jack Cust to one-year contract

3 Comments

Jack Cust was non-tendered by the A’s last week, but Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that he’ll remain in the AL West and sign a one-year contract with the Mariners worth $2.5 million in base salary.

Cust has seen his power numbers decline in three straight seasons, but he remains a walk machine who gets on base at a good clip despite low batting averages and tons of strikeouts.

Among all hitters with at least 400 plate appearances this year Cust ranked 10th in baseball with a .395 on-base percentage and his .834 OPS would’ve been the highest on the Mariners by nearly 100 points.

He’s a flawed player whose production has dipped a bit, but Cust is certainly a very solid designated hitter option on an inexpensive one-year commitment and the Mariners’ lineup can obviously use all the help it can get. He’ll likely hit under .250 in Seattle and the signing won’t look so good if Cust ends up seeing significant action in the field, but he’ll draw a ton of walks, post an OBP among the AL leaders, and smack 20-plus homers.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
2 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
7 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.