UPDATE: A’s deal for Hisashi Iwakuma is dead


UPDATE: It’s over. Mychael Urban of CSN Bay Area and Jane Lee of MLB.com are reporting that the A’s have failed to reach an agreement with Hisashi Iwakuma. The club’s $19.1 million posting fee will be returned.

8:02 PM: The Athletics have until midnight ET to come to an agreement with Japanese right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma, but things don’t look good.

Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that the two sides have yet to talk today, while Athletics general manager Billy Beane said he would “it would be a surprise” if a deal was reached.

The A’s won the exclusive rights to negotiate with Iwakuma last month by submitting a $19.1 million posting fee. Some have suggested that the A’s may have made the bid in order to block the Mariners and/or Rangers, but their subsequent trade of Vin Mazzaro to the Royals is an indication that their interest was genuine. The more likely scenario is that Beane balked at Iwakuma’s asking price of $11-12 million per season. Hard to argue with that one.

While that’s tough news to take for A’s fans, the club is exploring a multi-year contract extension with Trevor Cahill, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com. Cahill, who turns 23 in March, went 18-8 with a 2.97 ERA this past season. The young right-hander will not even be arbitration-eligible until next offseason, so the team will likely attempt to buy out his arbitration years and perhaps his first year of free agency. The team signed Brett Anderson to a similar deal in April.

Chris Sale exits game with hip contusion

Chris Sale
AP Images
Leave a comment

Red Sox left-hander Chris Sale made a hasty exit from his final Grapefruit League outing on Saturday after sustaining a left hip contusion. He was struck on the leg with a line drive from the Astros’ J.D. Davis in the first inning and immediately collapsed on the mound. He was able to walk off the field without a noticeable limp, however, and later told reporters that the ball struck a nerve and temporarily stunned his leg. As a precautionary move, the Red Sox pulled him after the incident and will have the left-hander undergo X-rays to rule out any further injury to his hip.

This was expected to be Sale’s last start of spring training. Prior to Saturday’s matinee against the Astros, the 28-year-old southpaw made three starts in camp, allowing five runs, one home run, three walks and striking out 18 batters in 14 innings. He’s still on track to start the season for the Red Sox during their road opener against the Rays next Thursday.