A’s pursuing Hideki Matsui after pulling offer to Adrian Beltre


Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle confirms various reports that the A’s have pulled their offer to Adrian Beltre and says it was “worth at least $64 million over five years.”

For the second offseason in a row the A’s made a strong push for Beltre, only to realize that he viewed them as merely a fallback option and much preferred to sign elsewhere.

In this case that meant re-signing with the Red Sox, although that no longer looks like an option for Beltre following Boston’s trade for Adrian Gonzalez.

As for who the A’s will turn to next, Slusser speculates that Hideki Matsui could be atop their list of targets. Going from Beltre to Matsui is quite a dropoff, but the A’s are looking for a veteran designated hitter after non-tendering Jack Cust last week and as usual they’re having a tough time luring top free agents to Oakland. Slusser says the A’s have also “put in a call on” Vladimir Guerrero.

Marlins sign Sean Burnett to minor league deal

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Free agent reliever Sean Burnett signed a minor-league pact with the Marlins on Saturday. Per MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, the left-hander is slated to begin the season in extended spring training and will work toward a role in the majors.

Burnett, 35, has not appeared in full-time role in MLB since 2012. He last pitched for a big league team in 2016, surfacing for 5 2/3 innings with the Nationals before returning to the minors. Despite signing a minor-league deal with the Phillies last spring, he failed to make the Opening Day roster and was released prior to the start of the season.

Complicating Burnett’s return is a slew of chronic elbow issues. The left-hander has dealt with everything from bone spurs to a torn UCL over the last six years, and will need to take things slowly in the minors before the Marlins consider adding him to the bullpen this season.