Good news for Red Sox fans. During an appearance on WEEI in Boston earlier today, Dustin Pedroia said that his surgically-repaired left foot is almost fully healed.
“I saw Dr. Theodore today. The CT scan looked great, and he said I’m pretty much 99.9 precent healed,” Pedroia said. “That’s as close to 100 as we’re going to get.”
“I’m getting cleared to start jogging and build up to sprinting, and once January comes, hit it hard and get ready for the season.”
Pedroia was off to a roaring start with the bat before he broke the navicular bone in his left foot on June 25. He returned in late-August, but went right back on the disabled list just two games later after aggravating the very same injury. In September, he had a screw inserted into the foot in order to help with the healing process. So far, so good, it seems.
The Red Sox still managed to win 89 games this past season despite Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury and Kevin Youkilis appearing in just 195 games combined. Incredible, when you really think about it. Victor Martinez may have bolted for Detroit and Adrian Beltre is still out there in free agency, but there’s every reason to believe Boston will be back with a vengeance next season.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.
Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.
Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.
We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.
The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.
Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.
Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.