UPDATE: Not so fast. According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, a baseball executive says the Mets and Chris Young are not close to an agreement yet. The two sides are said to be talking, though.
8:01 PM: Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that the Mets are closing in on a contract with free agent right-hander Chris Young.
Young, 31, has been limited to just 18 starts over the past two seasons due to shoulder problems. He went 2-0 with a 0.90 ERA and 15/11 K/BB ratio over four starts with the Padres this past season.
There’s no word on the terms of the deal, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports was told that Young had multiple one-year incentive-laden contract offers on the table.
Sandy Alderson and Paul DePodesta both formerly worked for the Padres, so history probably plays a significant part here. The Mets are also working with limited funds this winter as they wait for some bad contracts to come off the books, so low-risk/high-upside signings make sense, especially for a rotation that will be missing Johan Santana indefinitely. Young only throws in the mid 80s at this point and is primarily a flyball pitcher, but assuming he is healthy, Citi Field should be a pretty decent match for his profile.
The Athletics acquired outfielder Ryan LaMarre from the Angels for cash considerations or a player to be named later, per a team announcement on Sunday. In a corresponding move, they placed right-hander Chris Bassitt on the 60-day disabled list and assigned the outfielder to Triple-A Nashville.
LaMarre, 28, signed a one-year contract with the Angels in November, but was designated for assignment last Tuesday in order to clear roster space for veteran catcher Juan Graterol. He batted .268/.375/.341 with two extra base hits and four stolen bases through 10 games in Triple-A Salt Lake.
The outfielder has not seen a major league assignment since 2016, when he appeared in six games with the Red Sox (three times in the outfield and once on the mound) and went 0-for-5 with a walk. He’s expected to give the A’s some depth in the minors and will join Andrew Lambo, Matt McBride, Kenny Wilson and Jaycob Brugman in Nashville’s outfield.
Blue Jays’ shortstop Troy Tulowitzki is headed to the 10-day disabled list, club manager John Gibbons announced on Saturday. Tulowitzki left the eighth inning of Friday’s series opener when he injured his right hamstring in an attempt to steal third. Gibbons doesn’t have a concrete timetable for the infielder’s return, but told reporters that he doesn’t anticipate a lengthy recovery period.
Tulowitzki has battled numerous injuries before, from a serious quad strain to a chip fracture in his thumb, but this appears to be the first hamstring issue that has cropped up in his 12-year career. He’s the latest casualty on Toronto’s roster, which has lost Josh Donaldson, J.A. Happ, J.P. Howell, Dalton Pompey, Aaron Sanchez, Bo Schultz and Glenn Sparkman to various injuries in the last month. No official replacement has been named yet, though MLB.com’s Austin Laymance suggests that infielder Ryan Goins is ready to step in for Tulowitzki going forward.
Prior to his injury, Tulowitzki slashed .263/.295/.386 with one home run and a .681 OPS in 16 games with the Blue Jays. He went 1-for-3 on Friday with a base hit and a walk.