Cashman: Jeter should test the market if he doesn’t like our offer

24 Comments

That’s what he told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York anyway:

“We understand his contributions to the franchise and our offer has taken them into account. We’ve encouraged him to test the market and see if there’s something he would prefer other than this. If he can, fine. That’s the way it works . . . We feel Derek Jeter gives us the best chance to win. But we’re not dealing with Derek alone. We’re dealing with our closer, we’re trying to add to our club, and if putting all out eggs into one basket takes away from our ability to add to our club, I ain’t gonna do it.”

That’s most likely it was rhetorical, meant more to signal to Casey Close that he needs to negotiate with the team rather than grouse to the Daily News or whoever.  Of course, the team is clearly planting its talking points with the New York Times and now ESPN New York, so they’re all a part of the same hypocrisy, Senator.  It’s just that Cashman has the leverage, it seems, so his little digs are way more delicious.

Know what else would be delicious? If Brian Sabean offered Jeter a three-year, $50 million deal right now, with the stipulation that Jeter can wear a robe out to batting practice every day that says “Derek Jeter: Shortstop for the World Champs,” just so he could piss off the Yankees.  Make it happen, Brian.  We all need this. Badly.

Yankees activate Didi Gregorius from the disabled list

Elsa/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Yankees have activated shortstop Didi Gregorius from the 10-day disabled list, the club announced on Friday. Infielder Pete Kozma was designated for assignment to clear roster space.

Gregorius, 27, suffered a strained right shoulder while playing in the World Baseball Classic last month. He’s in Friday’s starting lineup, batting sixth against the Orioles.

Last season, Gregorius hit .276/.304/.447 with 20 home runs and 70 RBI in 597 plate appearances.

Mets to place Yoenis Cespedes on the 10-day disabled list

Al Bello/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Mets will place outfielder Yoenis Cespedes on the 10-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. Cespedes left Thursday’s game after suffering the injury running the bases.

Things keep going poorly for the Mets, who are in last place in the NL East with an 8-13 record. Cespedes will join a lengthy list of names in the infirmary, including David Wright, Lucas Duda, Wilmer Flores, Steven Matz, Seth Lugo, and Noah Syndergaard.

Cespedes is batting a very productive .270/.373/.619 with six home runs and 10 RBI through his first 75 plate appearances.

With Cespedes out, Michael Conforto should be cemented as an everyday player and Juan Lagares will handle center field with Granderson moving back to right field and Jay Bruce covering first base.