Joel Zumaya fractured his elbow in an ugly scene back in June and underwent surgery in early July. It looked like he would have a lengthy road back to a major league mound — and he still might — but Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski told James Schmehl of MLive.com yesterday that he expects the big right-hander to be ready for spring training.
“(Zumaya’s) recovery is fine. We expect him to be 100 percent when he reports for spring training,” Dombrowski said. “They’ll all pitch at important times. If Joel is healthy, we know he’ll be getting the ball and getting a lot of important outs, no matter when you use him.”
Zumaya, 26, posted a 2.58 ERA and 34/11 K/BB ratio over 38 1/3 innings before going down with the injury. Known for lighting up the radar gun, Zumaya has a long history of injuries and also underwent season-ending shoulder surgery in August of 2009.
The Tigers hope to have him ready for spring training, but with Phil Coke expected to get a shot at the rotation, it’s easy to see why the Tigers felt compelled to add Joaquin Benoit as the top set-up man for Jose Valverde. That doesn’t make handing him a three-year, $16.5 million contract any less questionable, though.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.
Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.
Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.
We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.
The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.
Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.
Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.