White Sox GM expects Jake Peavy to begin 2011 on the DL

1 Comment

Jake Peavy has said that he hopes to be healthy by Opening Day following July shoulder surgery, but yesterday general manager Ken Williams noted that he may not begin throwing again until January and indicated that he expects the former Cy Young winner to begin 2011 on the disabled list:

I’m preparing in my mind that this will be something that we take very slow and we’re very careful with, so that we can make sure we get a solid, healthy season out of him and not have him less than full strength and less than all he can be. I’m not looking at April in my mind, but he may surprise me.

Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com quotes “a major-league source” who suggested that “it may be as late as June before Peavy is ready to return from an injury few baseball players have suffered,” which is a detached latissimus dorsi muscle under his right shoulder.

Peavy is under contract for $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012, with a $22 million option or $4 million buyout for 2013, so Williams and the White Sox have every reason to take a long-term approach to his recovery.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
5 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.