Gregg Zaun missed most of this season following shoulder surgery, but the 40-year-old catcher plans to play in 2011 and recently told Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio that he’d prefer it be for the Rays.
Zaun played 34 games for the Rays in 2009 after being acquired from the Orioles in midseason trade, but it’s tough to see a fit for him in Tampa at this point with John Jaso entrenched as the primary catcher and Kelly Shoppach under contract as his backup/platoon-mate. And the Rays still have to figure out what to do with Dioner Navarro too.
Milwaukee declined its $2.25 million option on Zaun last week, choosing a $250,000 buyout instead. Zaun has always flown under the radar somewhat as a switch-hitting catcher with strong on-base skills and prior to the shoulder problems he was productive for the Brewers, hitting .265 with a .350 OBP.
Assuming he’s reasonably healthy Zaun would be a solid fit as a veteran backup somewhere, but Tampa Bay may not be the place.
Dodgers’ left fielder Andrew Toles crushed his first spring training home run on Saturday afternoon. With the bases loaded and a two-run deficit hanging over their heads in the fourth inning, Toles stepped up to the plate against Oakland right-hander Jesse Hahn and unloaded a grand slam on the second pitch he saw.
Third baseman Justin Turner was quick to follow up with a solo jack of his own, bringing the score to a comfortable 7-4 lead by the end of the fourth. Another three-run outburst in the fifth and an eighth-inning RBI single by Austin Barnes raised the final score to 11-6… which, coincidentally, was the same score the Reds used to defeat the Athletics’ second split-squad lineup on Saturday (albeit with a few more RBI walks than grand slams).
Toles, 24, is approaching his sophomore season with the Dodgers in 2017. He slashed .314/.365/.505 with three home runs and an .870 OPS in his first major league season in 2016 and is expected to platoon with the right-handed Franklin Gutierrez in left field this year.
David Price showed “strength improvements” in his elbow on Saturday, but Red Sox’ manager John Farrell still doesn’t think the left-hander will be ready to throw by the start of the season — or for a few weeks afterward. According to ESPN’s Scott Lauber, the 31-year-old might not be ready to debut until May at the earliest.
Price hasn’t thrown off of a mound this spring after experiencing soreness in his left elbow on March 1. Surgery doesn’t appear to be necessary, but the Red Sox are playing it extra safe with their No. 3 starter in hopes that rest and rehabilitation will return him to full health sometime during the 2017 season. For now, Price has been restricted to short games of catch until he’s cleared to resume a more rigorous throwing program. Via MLB.com’s Ian Browne:
[There were] strength improvements to the point of putting the ball back in his hand a little more consistently,” said manager John Farrell. “Today’s the first step for that. A short game of catch. That’s what he’s going through. Not off a mound but just to get the arm moving with a ball in flight, and he will continue in this phase for a period of time. There’s no set distance and volume yet to the throws.
The lefty is coming off of a lackluster 2016 season, during which he delivered a 3.99 ERA, 2.0 BB/9 and 8.9 SO/9 over 230 innings for the Red Sox.