Scott Boras is looking for Matt Holliday money for Jayson Werth


According to Todd Zolecki of, the belief is that Jayson Werth could seek a contract similar to the seven-year, $120 million deal Matt Holliday received from the Cardinals last winter.

Scott Boras stated his new client’s case for big dollars on Friday.

“We have, in my mind, probably the most coveted offensive player in the free-agent market,” Boras said. “Carl Crawford is a really great player, but the truth of the matter is, Werth scores as many runs, and his on-base percentage is the same. Werth is a guy that can play center field and has played center field recently. He’s a Gold Glove-type outfielder. Crawford is, too. But the big difference is that Werth has 87 home runs over the last three years and Crawford has 42. Werth is really a middle-of-the-lineup guy. I think when he bats third, he’ll be a 110-to-120-runs-scored guy and a 100-RBI guy. And I think teams that are looking for a right-handed bat view Werth as a middle-of-the-lineup guy.”

It’s true that Werth has a big advantage over Crawford in the OPS department. He also helps balance a team’s lineup from the right side of the plate. But that’s where the comparison ends. Crawford, 29, is nearly two years younger than the 31-year-old Werth and is arguably the best left fielder in the major leagues. If any player gets a seven-year contract this offseason, it will be Crawford.

As our own Matthew Pouliot mentioned earlier this week, the more realistic benchmark for Werth is the four-year, $66 million contract Jason Bay received from the Mets last winter. For what it’s worth, Pouliot ranked Werth as the No. 3 free agent this offseason and Crawford No. 2.

The Phillies haven’t closed the door on re-signing Werth, but two MLB officials told Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse that the Tigers seem like a likely landing spot. The fun begins in less than 24 hours.

Chris Sale exits game with hip contusion

Chris Sale
AP Images

Red Sox left-hander Chris Sale made a hasty exit from his final Grapefruit League outing on Saturday after sustaining a left hip contusion. He was struck on the leg with a line drive from the Astros’ J.D. Davis in the first inning and immediately collapsed on the mound. He was able to walk off the field without a noticeable limp, however, and later told reporters that the ball struck a nerve and temporarily stunned his leg. As a precautionary move, the Red Sox pulled him after the incident and will have the left-hander undergo X-rays to rule out any further injury to his hip.

This was expected to be Sale’s last start of spring training. Prior to Saturday’s matinee against the Astros, the 28-year-old southpaw made three starts in camp, allowing five runs, one home run, three walks and striking out 18 batters in 14 innings. He’s still on track to start the season for the Red Sox during their road opener against the Rays next Thursday.