In a chat with fans on MLB.com Thursday, new Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers indicated that Jarrod Parker has a chance of starting next season with the big club.
More than likely, Jarrod will start the season in Double-A Mobile mainly because of the colder weather at the start of the season in Triple-A Reno. But he may surprise us and start the season in Phoenix if he has a strong Spring Training and appears healthy.
Towers clarified his comments to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic on Friday.
“Certainly we’re going to be cautious with him,” Towers said, noting that they’ll have to monitor his innings workload. “We’re not going to do anything stupid here, but, to me, I don’t want to have to make that decision until the end of March. I don’t want to be making it in November.”
Parker, who was the No. 9 overall pick in the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, missed the entire 2010 season recovering from Tommy John surgery. He was regarded as one of the top starting pitching prospects in the game prior to the surgery, posting a 3.31 ERA over 44 minor league starts, averaging 8.9 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9.
Towers recently told Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse that the right-hander looks “awesome” and is reaching 95 mph on the radar gun. Parker doesn’t even turn 22 until later this month, so there’s still plenty of reason for optimism here.
The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.
Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.
Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.
MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”
As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.
Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”