The Giants had their victory parade in San Francisco, and it seemed pretty nuts by victory parade standards. It’s always hard to estimate this stuff — and estimates always seem to err on the ridiculously high side — but the Chronicle said that hundreds of thousands lined the parade route. Random tweets and things from people I know in the bay area suggested that this parade tied up San Francisco in ways a lot of other cities don’t get tied up by such things, but again, maybe that’s just a function of bridges or geography or something.
But who cares how many were there? Onlookers seemed to have fun, as did the Giants. There’s a large photo gallery of the thing here, and that’s probably a better way to get a sense of it than having me try to explain it.
The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.
Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.
As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.