Jays have not approached Bautista about long-term contract

1 Comment

The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo does a bang-up job during hot stove season and he has an article today about 2010’s biggest breakout star, Jose Bautista.

Bautista, 30, posted a stellar 995 OPS and 124 RBI this past season while leading all major leaguers with 54 home runs. He’s in line for a big payday this winter via salary arbitration, so it would seem that the Jays might have interest in discussing a long-term contract with the slugger. But, as of now, no such negotiations have taken place.

“Right now, there are no talks about a multiyear contract, but I suppose we may hear something about that in December,” he told Cafardo. “We have a great team and if our players and pitching can take the next step, we’re going to be a team that can go for the AL East title.”

Why no talks?  Because the Blue Jays probably have the same concerns that the rest of us have.  Bautista never hit more than 16 home runs in a season before this year and batted just .235/.349/.408 in 2009.  It’s not all that rare for players to suddenly blossom in their late 20s and early 30s (Ryan Ludwick comes to mind), but Bautista has all the leverage right now because of his impressive 2010 numbers and it’s fair that the Jays have their doubts about his ability to post consistent MVP-like stats.

Braves sign David Hernandez

Jon Durr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.

Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.

Dave Roberts: It “doesn’t make sense” for Scott Kazmir to start year in Dodgers’ rotation

Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images
1 Comment

Scott Kazmir won’t begin the regular season in the Dodgers’ starting rotation. Manager Dave Roberts said after Kazmir’s Cactus League outing on Sunday that it “doesn’t make sense” for the ailing Kazmir to break camp in the rotation, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports. The lefty will instead rehab some more and join the rotation at a later time.

Kazmir has been battling a hip issue which has caused his mechanics to suffer. He was clocked in the low 80’s 10 days ago and wasn’t much better on Sunday afternoon.

Last season with the Dodgers, Kazmir posted a 4.56 ERA with a 134/52 K/BB ratio in 136 1/3 innings, his worst numbers since returning to the majors in 2013.