Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York heard from a source Saturday that the Yankees dismissed pitching coach Dave Eiland this fall because his relationship with manager Joe Girardi turned sour near the middle of the 2010 season. That source may be correct, but Eiland is denying all claims about burned bridges.
Eiland took a month-long leave of absence from the Yanks in June for personal reasons and Marchand’s source said that the veteran Yankee coach felt that his opinions were being “deemphasized” by the club upon returning.
Eiland doesn’t remember it that way. He told the New York Daily News on Saturday that he did not leave the Yankees on a sour note and that his relationship with Girardi is still healthy.
“That’s absolutely ridiculous and simply not true,” Eiland told the Daily News in reaction to ESPN New York’s published story. “Joe and I have never had a problem nor do we now. He’s a solid baseball man and a great manager, and more importantly one of the best human beings I have ever met.”
When it was first announced that Eiland would not be returning for the 2011 season, Yankees GM Brian Cashman called it his own decision and a “private” matter. It’s hard to know what to believe, and the Yanks aren’t likely to reveal all of the actual happenings that led to the pitching coach’s departure. We may never get a straight answer.
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minnesota Twins say minor league pitcher Yorman Landa has died in Venezuela. He was 22.
The club said in a statement that the Twins are “deeply saddened by the heartbreaking loss.” The team did not say how he died.
Landa pitched in the 2016 season with the Fort Meyers Miracle, going 2-2 with 7 saves and a 3.24 ERA in 41 2/3 innings pitched. His career minor-league ERA was 2.66.
Landa had been on the Twins’ 40-man roster, but was dropped after the season. The organization signed him to a minor-league contract last week.
Landa was signed by the Twins in 2010 as a 16-year old from Santa Teresa, Venezuela.
A report from the Baltimore Sun’s Dan Connolly suggests that free agent catcher Welington Castillo currently tops the Orioles’ list of potential backstop targets for the 2017 season. With Matt Wieters on the market, the Orioles lack a suitable platoon partner for Caleb Joseph behind the dish, and Connolly adds that the club has been discussing a multi-year deal with Castillo’s representatives since the Winter Meetings.
Castillo batted .264/.322/.423 with the Diamondbacks in 2016, racking up 14 home runs and driving in a career-high 68 RBI in 457 PA. His bat provides much of his upside, and Connolly quoted an anonymous National League scout who believes that the 29-year-old’s defensive profile has fallen short of his potential in recent years.
For better or worse, both the Orioles and Castillo appear far from locking in a deal for 2017. Both the Rays and Braves have expressed interest in the veteran catcher during the past week, while the Orioles are reportedly considering Wieters, Nick Hundley and Chris Iannetta as alternatives behind the plate.