Jayson Werth is likely done in Philadelphia

10 Comments

Not to kick Phillies fans while they are down or anything, but shortly after last night’s season-ending loss to the Giants, Jon Heyman of SI.com tweeted that teammates don’t expect Jayson Werth to return next season.

Of course, this shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Werth is poised to make big money in free agency, especially after hiring Scott Boras as his agent earlier this year. By the way, Boras has already likened his new client to Matt Holliday, another one of his clients. And as you may remember, Holliday signed a seven-year, $120 million contract with the Cardinals last winter. The Phillies already have over $143 million tied up in 18 players next season, so Werth will probably be too rich for their blood.

Fortunately, the Phillies have Domonic Brown at the ready as an in-house replacement. The 23-year-old outfielder had a .210 batting average with two home runs and 13 RBI in limited action with the Fightins this season, but batted .327/.391/.589 with 20 homers and 68 RBI in 389 at-bats between Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He is a highly-regarded prospect, but as with any rookie, growing pains are to be expected.

As Buster Olney of ESPN.com pointed out earlier this afternoon, another concern is that Brown bats from the left side of the plate. The Phillies are already lefty-heavy in their middle of the their lineup, so replacing the right-handed bat of Werth with Brown may make the Phillies’ lineup easier to navigate late in games.

We’ll have plenty of time to talk about where Werth may end up in the days and weeks to come, but Ross Gload has already named an early favorite for the outfielder’s services. According to John R. Finger of CSNPhilly.com, Gload said the following to Werth as he walked through the clubhouse exit last night:

“Don’t let those Yankees boss you around.”

Dagger.

Brock Holt has been shut down from game activity

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Things have gone from bad to worse for Red Sox’ outfielder Brock Holt, who was shut down “for the foreseeable future” on Friday after meeting with head trauma specialist Michael Collins. The Red Sox placed Holt on the 10-day disabled list in April after he began experiencing vertigo, the latest in a series of head injuries he’s sustained since last spring.

According to the Boston Herald’s Jason Mastrodonato, the outfielder was initially advised to attempt playing through his symptoms, but it quickly became apparent that the strategy wasn’t going to work. Now, the plan is to shut him down from any game activity in the hopes that he’ll be able to recover from all lingering symptoms before returning to the roster. Club manager John Farrell told reporters that the 28-year-old is still cleared to take batting practice and work on his defense, but won’t continue his rehab starts in Triple-A Pawtucket for the time being.

Holt had been making regular appearances for the Pawtucket Red Sox and was batting .209/.292/.372 with two home runs through 14 games this spring. This season marks his fifth run within the Red Sox’ organization. He experienced a bit of a slump at the plate in 2016 and slashed .255/.322/.383 after breaking out during his first All-Star year in 2015.

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe suggests that the team’s concern for Holt extends past his setbacks at the plate. It’s still a long road to a full recovery, and while Farrell told reporters he believes the outfielder is on track to make a return sometime in 2017, he’ll need to make sure that Holt is both physically and mentally prepared to do so.

Nationals Acquire Ryan Raburn From White Sox

Getty Images
3 Comments

The Washington Nationals have acquired outfielder Ryan Raburn from the Chicago White Sox. Raburn had been playing at Triple-A Charlotte. He’ll be assigned to Triple-A Syracuse in the Nats organization. The Nationals will send cash or a player to be named later to the White Sox to complete the deal.

Raburn has yet to play in the majors this season. Last year he hit .220/.309/.404 with nine homers in 113 games for the Colorado Rockies. The year before that he hit an excellent .301/.393/.543 in part time play for the Indians. Over the course of his 11 year career the 36-year-old has hit .253/.317/.436, which breaks down to an OPS+ of exactly 100, which is league average. Primarily an outfielder, Raburn has played every position except shortstop and catcher in his career. He’s even pitched twice.

The Nats plans for him aren’t entirely clear, but depth it depth.