UPDATE: John Farrell informed Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe via text message this morning that “nothing is official” regarding his hiring as the Blue Jays’ new manager. All indications are pointing in that direction, though.
8:43 AM: One source told Alex Speier of WEEI.com that “it would be surprising” if Farrell turned down the job. Barring a breakdown in negotiations, look for an official announcement before the World Series begins on Wednesday.
9:26 PM, Friday: We hinted at the possibility yesterday and now it appears that the Blue Jays have come to a decision on a replacement for Cito Gaston.
Multiple industry sources tell Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com that Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell has been offered the Blue Jays’ manager job. The only thing that stands in the way of making this official is for the two sides to agree on a contract.
McAdam reported earlier today that Red Sox third base coach DeMarlo Hale and Sandy Alomar Jr. were informed that they were out of the running for the job. By process of elimination, it looks like the decision ultimately came down to Farrell and Blue Jays third base Brian Butterfield.
Farrell has no previous managerial experience, but he has served as Red Sox pitching coach since 2007 and previously worked as the Director of Player Development with the Indians from 2001-06.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.