Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com did some digging and uncovered why Tim Wallach agreed to a contract with the Dodgers that allowed him to interview for certain managerial openings (like the Brewers) while prohibiting him from pursuing other jobs (like the Blue Jays):
Wallach was allowed to make those lists himself while negotiating the deal, which the source said was unusually beneficial to Wallach in terms of both length and financial compensation. Because there are so many major league managerial openings this winter … the Dodgers didn’t want Wallach to interview for all of them, presumably because that would have held up their effort to fill their coaching staff.
So Wallach was asked to prioritize those eight clubs based on his level of interest before any of those teams even requested permission to talk to him. It isn’t clear how many teams are on the “can-talk-to” list and how many are on the “can’t-talk-to” list. But the source said the Brewers and Blue Jays are the only teams that requested permission to speak with Wallach.
In other words, if Wallach had been better at predicting which teams would be interested in him as a potential manager he’d have been allowed to talk to the Blue Jays, who’re now upset that the Dodgers denied their interview request.
According to Jackson, if Wallach isn’t hired by the Brewers he’ll remain with the Dodgers, likely as the third base coach on Don Mattingly’s staff. Jackson reports that the current third base coach, Larry Bowa, is not expected back in 2011.
Athletics southpaw Sean Manaea delivered his first career no-hitter against the Red Sox in a decisive 3-0 victory on Saturday night. Any thought of a perfect game was banished in the first at-bat, when Mookie Betts drew a leadoff six-pitch walk to open the first inning. From there, Manaea was nearly flawless, holding the Sox to four total baserunners and striking out 10 of 30 batters faced — a career record.
Manaea was gifted a three-run lead thanks to RBI doubles from Jed Lowrie and Stephen Piscotty and Marcus Semien‘s solo shot off of Chris Sale in the fifth inning. While the Red Sox managed to draw two walks off of Manaea, they didn’t come anywhere close to plating a run. Andrew Benintendi tried to break up the no-no in the sixth inning with an infield hit down the first base line, but strayed out of bounds and later saw his hit reversed on a call of batter interference.
Entering the ninth inning, the 26-year-old lefty was sitting at just 95 pitches through eight frames of no-hit ball. He quickly deposed Blake Swihart and Mookie Betts with a groundout and fly out, then walked Benintendi on seven pitches. Any threat the Red Sox might have posed was soon eliminated, however, as Hanley Ramirez ground into a force out to complete the no-hitter.
Manaea is the first A’s pitcher to toss a no-no since Dallas Braden’s perfect game against the Rays eight years ago. The last time the Red Sox were on the losing end of a no-hitter was also against an AL West rival, when the Mariners’ Chris Bosio clinched a 2-0 no-no on April 22, 1993. Manaea’s feat is even more outstanding given how dominant the Red Sox have looked this season: prior to Saturday’s defeat, they boasted a 17-2 record and had yet to be shut out during the regular season.