Image (1) rockies_090823-thumb-250x224-1519.jpg for post 1068

Rockies hope to re-sign Jeff Francis after declining $7 million option for 2011

1 Comment

Jeff Francis’ four-year, $13.25 million contract signed in November of 2006 includes a $7 million option for 2011 that the Rockies are all but guaranteed to decline, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that they’ll likely try to re-sign Francis at a lesser salary.
Francis missed all of last season following shoulder surgery and struggled down the stretch this year after returning to the rotation in May, finishing with a 5.00 ERA in 104.1 innings. However, his 67/23 K/BB ratio was actually pretty solid and Francis posted a career-high ground-ball rate of 47 percent while returning to his pre-surgery velocity levels.
His agent, Jim Lindell, said that Francis would like to re-sign with the Rockies “if everything’s equal.” In other words, if no other teams want to give him a multi-year deal with a bunch of guaranteed money, he’ll probably be fine returning to Colorado for something incentive-laden.

Indians promote Chris Antonetti to President, name new GM

Chris Antonetti
Leave a comment

In the seemingly never-ending trend of front office officials getting new titles, the Cleveland Indians just announced that General Manager Chris Antonetti has been promoted to President of Baseball Operations and Mike Chernoff is now the GM.

Antonetti has been the Tribe’s GM for the past five years and is moving up in the wake of team president Mark Shapiro moving on to Toronto. Shapiro, however, also held business side responsibilities which Antonetti will not assume. Meaning, as before, he will be the top guy on baseball ops decisions, albeit with a grander title.

Chernoff has been an assistant GM for five years and has been with the organization for the past 12 years. As many new GMs these days he will, functionally speaking, still be an assistant when it comes to baseball decisions.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.