Twins likely to give Ron Gardenhire a contract extension

9 Comments

I co-hosted the postgame call-in show on 1500-ESPN here in Minnesota following the Twins’ season-ending loss to the Yankees on Saturday night and many of the callers wanted Ron Gardenhire fired, but not surprisingly the manager is in absolutely no danger of actually being let go.
Gardenhire is under contract through next season and Twins chief executive officer Jim Pohlad wasted no time saying that he’ll soon receive a contract extension that goes beyond 2011, calling it “a no-brainer.”
In nine seasons under Gardenhire the Twins are 18-57 against the Yankees, including nine straight losses to New York in the playoffs. However, he’s also managed the Twins to six division titles in nine years after the team had one winning season in the nine years before he took over for Tom Kelly and there’s a pretty good chance Gardenhire will be named Manager of the Year shortly.
I’ve been blogging about the Twins since 2002 and during that time I’ve often been accused of being overly critical of Gardenhire, in part because many of his lineup decisions and in-game strategies annoy me and in part because I think his regular season success has been somewhat overstated by virtue of playing in a weak division. On the other hand, I’ve never even come close to calling for him to be fired and certainly wouldn’t do so now.
Being dominated by the Yankees is extremely frustrating, but at no point were the Twins favored in those playoff series. Beyond that, the lack of success the Twins had during the decade before Gardenhire was infinitely more frustrating and there are probably 20 teams that would jump at the chance to go three-and-out in the playoffs in two of every three seasons. I’m far from the world’s biggest Gardenhire fan, but Pohlad is absolutely right when he says that keeping the manager around is a “no-brainer” for the Twins.

Report: Mets showing interest in Bartolo Colon

Getty Images
2 Comments

Last month, free agent right-hander Bartolo Colon told reporters that he’d be open to taking a minor league deal in 2018, but only if he was guaranteed a return to the Mets’ system. The 44-year-old starter is nearing the end of a 20-year career, and it makes sense that he’d want to have one last hurrah in the city where he had some of his most productive years.

Now, Twins starter Ervin Santana tells Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press, it looks like the Mets might also be open to a reunion. It’s doubtful that Colon has all that much left in the tank, especially following a combined 7-14 record and 6.48 ERA for the Braves and Twins last year, but he’s not necessarily looking to reproduce the 15+ win, sub-4.00 ERA totals of years past.

Instead, Santana says, Colon is seeking the opportunity to win just six more games. He’ll enter the 2018 season five wins shy of the all-time record for a Latin American-born player, and is hoping to claim that title for himself before he enters retirement in 2019. Former Orioles and Expos hurler Dennis Martinez currently holds the record after clinching his 245th win back in 1998. While it took Colon a full season of starts to come up with even seven wins in 2017, he’s only one year removed from a 15-win campaign in 2016. Provided that the Mets are willing to gamble on him again, the milestone may not be that far out of reach.