Instant replay isn't going to happen on Frank Robinson's watch

12 Comments

Here’s Frank Robinson — Vice President of Baseball Operations — talking about the many blown calls so far this postseason.  Listen to this and tell me if you think instant replay is going to be expanded any time soon:

What people don’t understand is that this is a different era now.
This is strictly an electronic era that shows every little wrinkle,
every little mistake. The margin of a mistake is minute. And they still
complain about the call being missed.

In the old days when people thought umpires were better than they are
today . . . if that play had been 10 years ago, there would have been
nothing said about it. Believe me. The game would have went on with
nothing said about it.  That’s the problem today. (Television) shows every little piece of
dirt that you can find in the game. There’s nothing wrong with it. But
it creates controversy. It puts undue pressure on the umpires. And they
are criticized unfairly.

19th Century Policeman:  Captain! I think I’ve solved the Colonel Stilson murder!

Captain: That’s wonderful, Officer MacDougal! Did you get the butler to confess?

Policeman: No, sir. But our chemists have developed a new technology by which we were able to determine that the butler had handled the bloody candlestick prior to it being used to bludgeon poor Colonel Stilson! His fingers, you see, left telltale marks, unique to him alone!

Captain: Really, officer.  This is what you bring me? Marks from a man’s fingers?  Why, ten years ago, we would have had
nothing on which to charge this butler if he had not confessed to the crime. Believe me. He would have walked free with
nothing said about it.  That’s the problem today. This new learning reveals every little piece of evidence that can found. There’s nothing wrong with it, mind you, but it creates such a controversy and causes criminals to be criticized unfairly.  Please release the butler.

Officer: But . . . but Captain! He did it!  We know this to be true! He murdered Colonel Stilson!

Captain: If you continue on in this manner, Officer MacDougal, I shall have no choice but to levy a fine.  Now, go back and see if the butler might confess.  Good day.

Officer: But —

Captain: I SAID ‘GOOD DAY!’

Casey McGehee signs one-year deal with Yomiuri Giants

DETROIT, MI - AUGUST 19: Casey McGehee #31 of the Detroit Tigers singles in the fourth inning of the game against the Boston Red Sox on August 19, 2016 at Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Former Tigers infielder Casey McGehee has reportedly signed a one-year deal with the Yomiuri Giants of Nippon Professional Baseball, according to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.

It’s the fourth move the corner infielder has made in the last two seasons after seeing short-term stints with the Marlins, Giants and Tigers. He signed a minor league deal with the Tigers prior to the 2016 season, providing the club with some infield depth behind 24-year-old Nick Castellanos. When Castellanos hit the disabled list in August with a broken hand, McGehee was recalled from Triple-A Toledo for a 30-game stint and slashed .228/.260/.239 with one extra-base hit in 96 PA. His career batting line (.258/.317/.384 over eight seasons) isn’t too shabby, but his age and a long history of knee injuries puts a damper on his potential.

McGehee last appeared in the NPB circuit in 2013, when he signed a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles. He spent the bulk of his season at the hot corner, batting an impressive .292/.396/.515 with 28 homers in 590 PA and appearing in the Eagles’ first and only championship run to date.

The deal comes with a club option for 2018, Rosenthal reports, though no figure has been specified.

Report: Dodgers could pursue three-year deal with Rich Hill

LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 18:  Rich Hill #44 of the Los Angeles Dodgers pitches in the first inning against the Chicago Cubs in game three of the National League Championship Series at Dodger Stadium on October 18, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Free agent left-hander Rich Hill is rumored to be entertaining a three-year, $40+ million offer from the Dodgers, reports Peter Gammons. The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo corroborated the report, adding that Hill could receive somewhere between $46 and $48 million from his former team.

Hill, 36, pitched to a 2.12 ERA and 3.91 FIP in back-to-back stints with the Athletics and Dodgers in 2016. While a chronic case of blisters on his pitching hand limited the frequency of his starts, he still figures to be one of the most productive and noteworthy starting pitchers on the market this winter.

The Orioles, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers and Astros have all been mentioned as potential suitors for the left-hander’s services, though Orioles’ GM Dan Duquette said the club has yet to make a play for Hill and ESPN’s Jim Bowden pointed out that the Red Sox are less involved in trade talks than other interested parties.