Padres CEO says long-term deal for Adrian Gonzalez "doesn't appear to be practical from a financial standpoint"

12 Comments

Padres chief executive officer Jeff Moorad told Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union Tribune that next season’s payroll will likely be in the $40 million range again.
And when asked about Adrian Gonzalez’s short-term status he replied: “At this point, I expect him to be on our roster next season.”
However, the CEO wasn’t nearly as optimistic about keeping Gonzalez in San Diego beyond next year, saying:

I think [general manager] Jed [Hoyer]’s committed to sit down with [agent] John Boggs at some point and I’m sure we’ll get a feel about Adrian’s view of the future. Beyond that, our position hasn’t changed. While we’d still love to have Adrian here long term, it doesn’t appear to be practical from a financial standpoint. So I’m certainly not counting on that. But we’ll engage and see if there’s a deal that can be made.

Gonzalez’s contract is inexpensive enough that the Padres were in no way motivated to trade him prior to this season and obviously being in contention kept them from pursuing a midseason deal. However, with just one year remaining on his deal and Moorad repeatedly saying that they don’t have the resources to sign him long term it sure seems like trading Gonzalez is suddenly much more likely.
If they truly don’t think keeping him is at all realistic, then the Padres are choosing between one more season of Gonzalez and a pair of compensatory draft picks when he leaves as a free agent or whatever haul they can get for one of baseball’s elite hitters in a trade. It’s tough to deal the best player on a team that just finished one game out of the playoffs, but tough doesn’t always equal wrong.

Report: Diamondbacks to trade Michael Bourn to the Orioles

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - AUGUST 21:  Michael Bourn #1 of the Arizona Diamondbacks reacts after striking out during the eighth inning of a baseball game against the San Diego Padres at PETCO Park on August 21, 2016 in San Diego, California.  (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
Denis Poroy/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jon Heyman of Today’s Knuckleball reports that the Orioles and Diamondbacks have agreed in principle to a trade involving outfielder Michael Bourn. The trade is in the process of being finalized. It is not yet known what the Diamondbacks are receiving in return.

Bourn will be the second outfielder the Orioles have acquired on Wednesday, as the club also claimed Drew Stubbs off waivers from the Rangers.

With rosters expanding on Thursday, the Orioles are making a concerted effort to bolster the team’s outfield depth. Both Stubbs and Bourn are eligible for the Orioles’ postseason roster if the club makes it.

Bourn, 33, hit .261/.307/.362 with 21 extra-base hits, 30 RBI, 43 runs scored, and 13 stolen bases in 358 plate appearances.

Orioles claim Drew Stubbs off waivers from the Rangers

SEATTLE, WA - SEPTEMBER 7: Drew Stubbs #15 of the Texas Rangers walks off the field after an at-bat during a game against the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on September 7, 2015 in Seattle, Washington. The Rangers won the game 3-0. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)
Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Orioles have claimed outfielder Drew Stubbs off release waivers from the Rangers, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. The club designated for assignment pitcher Kyle Lobstein, whom they acquired from the Pirates earlier on Wednesday, to make roster space for Stubbs, Dan Connolly of BaltimoreBaseball.com reports.

The Rangers designated Stubbs for assignment last week. After clearing waivers, Stubbs refused an assignment to Triple-A Round Rock, so the Rangers released him on Monday.

Stubbs, 31, has taken only 67 plate appearances this season — 42 with the Braves, 25 with the Rangers — as he missed a lot of time between mid-May and mid-August with a sprained left toe.

With rosters expanding, the veteran Stubbs will simply add to the Orioles’ outfield depth.