Jorge De La Rosa and the Rockies are talking contract

Leave a comment

Last week Colorado general manager Dan O’Dowd called re-signing Jorge De La Rosa “a top priority” for the Rockies and now Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that “there are strong indications” the two sides “began contract talks” this week.
According to Renck the Rockies offered De La Rosa a two-year, $8.75 million deal last offseason, but he turned it down and then was limited to just 122 innings this season because of injuries. When healthy he was very solid, posting a 4.22 ERA in 20 starts despite calling Coors Field home, and De La Rosa is 34-24 with a 4.49 ERA and 434/200 K/BB ratio in 437 total innings for the Rockies during the past three seasons.
Renck speculates that he “could reach the neighborhood of $10 million per season on the open market,” but for someone with a 5.02 career ERA who has never posted a mark below 4.22 that seems pretty optimistic considering John Lackey was the only free agent starter to get more than $10 million per season in a multi-year deal last offseason (although Randy Wolf came very close).

Dexter Fowler becomes first black player to play for the Cubs in the World Series

CLEVELAND, OH - OCTOBER 25:  Dexter Fowler #24 of the Chicago Cubs reacts after striking out in the first inning against the Cleveland Indians in Game One of the 2016 World Series at Progressive Field on October 25, 2016 in Cleveland, Ohio.  (Photo by Tim Bradbury/Getty Images)
Tim Bradbury/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The last time the Cubs were in the World Series was 1945, two years before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball. As such, until Tuesday night, the Cubs never had a black player play for them in the World Series.

Dexter Fowler changed that, leading off the ballgame at Progressive Field against the Indians. Fowler was made aware of this fact three days ago by Rany Jazayerli of The Ringer:

Fowler, in that at-bat, went ahead in the count 2-1 but ended up striking out looking on a Corey Kluber sinker.

Drew Pomeranz does not need arm surgery

BOSTON, MA - OCTOBER 10:  Drew Pomeranz #31 of the Boston Red Sox throws a pitch in the fifth inning against the Cleveland Indians during game three of the American League Divison Series at Fenway Park on October 10, 2016 in Boston, Massachusetts.  (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

Red Sox lefty Drew Pomeranz was of limited utility during the postseason as he began experiencing soreness in his left forearm near the end of the 2016 season. There was some thought that he might need offseason surgery but Pomeranz was examined by doctors who determined that he does not need any surgery, Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald reports. President of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said:

He has seen the doctor, the doctor looked at him. I can’t really disclose totally everything that was done, but the doctor said no surgical procedure and the doctor feels he will be ready for next spring training for us.

Pomeranz, 27, finished the 2016 regular season with an aggregate 3.32 ERA and a 186/65 K/BB ratio in 170 2/3 innings between the Padres and Red Sox. He operated out of the bullpen during the playoffs, allowing two runs on four hits and two walks with seven strikeouts over 3 2/3 innings.

The Red Sox acquired Pomeranz in a trade with the Padres in July. It was a trade that earned Padres GM A.J. Preller a 30-day suspension from Major League Baseball, as he reportedly kept two sets of medical records in order to deceive trade partners.