UPDATE: So much for that. The Dodgers had to scratch Hiroki Kuroda for Sunday’s start, which means Kershaw is going back in the rotation for Friday’s start, with Chad Billingsley and Ted Lilly picking up Saturday and Sunday.
In other news, I am 100% certain that hundreds of players will be shut down for the season by late Sunday afternoon. Bank on it.
11:29 A.M.: Clayton Kershaw was scheduled to start today, but the Dodgers have decided that 32 starts and 204 and a third innings are enough for the year and have shut him down.
Of course the timing of the announcement — The Dodgers just told Kershaw that he wouldn’t be starting today’s game as scheduled until after last night’s game — suggests that the innings and starts count, in and of themselves, weren’t enough to warrant him being shut down for the year. Rather, it would seem that the Rockies being eliminated, rendering today’s Dodgers-Rockies contest meaningless, was the key factor.
There’s something I like about the Dodgers caring about the integrity of the competition faced by would-be playoff contenders, so much so that they’d run out their 22 year-old ace for another start when they otherwise wouldn’t due to innings limits. There’s something a bit troubling about it too in that, if they were worried at all about his workload, they probably should have been prepared to sit him anyway.
It’s just another thing — like having the individual player awards enter into player usage and possibly even strategy — that has always made this last week of the season so darn awkward.
Reds infielder Dilson Herrera will undergo surgery to remove bone spurs from his right shoulder. His season is over.
Herrera, you may recall, was acquired from the Mets in the Jay Bruce trade last year. He played in 49 games for the Mets, but spent all of last year and this year in the minors. In parts of seven minor league seasons he’s hit .295/.357/.461 with 67 homers and 87 stolen bases in 631 games.
Herrera, one time a top-5 prospect of the Mets, was expected to play in the bigs this year, but hasn’t. He was expected to challenge for the starting second base job for the Reds next year, but that’s obviously in doubt now. The worst part: he’ll be out of minor league options next year, so the Reds will be pressured to either put him on the big league roster fresh off an injury or else risk losing him via waivers, which I suspect he’d be unlikely to clear.
Ken Rosenthal has found out the ten teams on Yu Darvish‘s no-trade list per his contract. They are the Orioles, Red Sox, Cubs, Indians, Rockies, White Sox, Tigers, A’s, Pirates and Blue Jays. He has no right to veto trades to any other team.
As we’ve noted in recent days, the Dodgers are said to have a “strong interest” in Darvish. It’d not be at all surprising to see other contenders in on him too, at least as long as the Rangers keep listening to offers. In the no-trade category, it would seem that the Cubs and Indians would have a need, but it’s doubtful the Indians would make that kind of deal. The Cubs may, but of course they’d have to sweeten the deal for Darvish in order to get him to agree to waive his no-trade rights (which is often the point of having a no-trade provision).
Beyond the Dodgers, the Yankees and Astros are obvious potential suitors.
Darvish is 6-8 with a 3.44 ERA and has struck out 143 batters to only 43 walks in 133.1 innings.