Ken Rosenthal’s latest column spends some time looking at what the Red Sox might do this offseason. The biggest possibility — and its not clear if this is from a source with knowledge or if it was pulled out of Rosenthal’s, um, imagination — is that the Sox could forgo signing Adrian Beltre to an extension (he’ll likely reject his $10 million option), move Youkilis to third base, get a stop gap first baseman and then go after someone like Prince Fielder, Adrian Gonzalez, or maybe even Albert Pujols after 2011.
Which is nice, but that sounds a bit too much like the stuff fans say when they call into talk radio to me. I can’t say for certain how front office people think, but most of the well-run teams tend to act rather conservatively and pragmatically, don’t they? They realize that you can’t count on anything specific happening, especially with free agents, and thus they don’t make plans assuming good results in that regard two years down the road.
One of the few things that went right this year for the Sox was Adrian Beltre showing up every day, raking, and picking it like crazy at third base. Why wouldn’t the Sox try to re-sign him, and go with Youkilis at first base, taking 2011 before they think about 2012?
Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly reports that the Phillies are close to signing free agent reliever Joaquin Benoit. An announcement is expected before the winter meetings end on Thursday.
Benoit, 39, has quietly been among the better relievers in baseball over the past seven years. This past season with the Mariners and Blue Jays, the right-hander put up an aggregate 2.81 ERA with a 52/24 K/BB ratio in 48 innings. That included a 0.38 ERA in 23 2/3 innings after the Jays acquired him from the Mariners.
Benoit suffered a torn calf muscle during a benches-clearing brawl with the Yankees near the end of the regular season. He’s expected to be healthy for spring training.
The Phillies have now added three relievers this offseason with Benoit, Pat Neshek, and David Rollins.
ESPN’s Pedro Gomez provides a previously unreported detail of the new collective bargaining agreement, agreed to by the owners and the players’ union last week. Players’ meal money for road games is being reduced from $105 to $30 per day. Teams are providing pre- and post-game meals in the visitors’ clubhouse to offset some of the decrease in meal money.
Gomez quotes an unnamed player who said, “I doubt many guys know about the money going down, nor would they have agreed to it.” All of the players Gomez contacted said they were unaware of and unhappy about the change.
Clubhouse attendants are certainly unhappy about this change, too. As Gomez notes, the attendants previously provided food for visiting teams which earned them tips from the players.
EDIT: It’s worth clarifying that chefs are required in clubhouses now as part of the new CBA, so it’s not a complete loss for the players.