We can scratch another name off the list of candidates to be the next Cubs manager.
Citing “personal and professional reasons,” Bob Brenly has withdrawn his name from consideration for the team’s managerial position, according to ESPNChicago.com.
“With all due respect to the organization, to the Ricketts family and to
Jim, I just didn’t feel at this particular time that this was a good
fit for me,” Brenly said. “I’ve said all along that I would love to get
back on the field if I felt the situation was right, but for personal
and professional reasons, this is not the right time for me.”
Brenly said he has been in contact with other teams about their managerial vacancies, but would be open to returning to his job as Cubs broadcaster next season.
The Cubs have already interviewed former Indians manager Eric Wedge and Triple-A Iowa Ryne Sandberg, while current interim manager Mike Quade, Nationals coach Pat Listach, former Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin and former Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu, among others, are also under consideration for the position. Former Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez also recently withdrew his name for consideration for the Cubs job, as he is the odds-on favorite to replace Bobby Cox in Atlanta.
Rian Watt of Baseball Prospectus is hearing that a trade that would send Aroldis Chapman to the Cubs involves prospect Gleyber Torres and more going to the Yankees. He adds that the holdup in the trade talks is centered around a contract extension for Chapman, believed to be around four years in length and $60 million total. The deal may not be finalized if the Cubs don’t get him signed to an extension they like. In Watt’s words, “Package is set. Extension is not.”
We learned earlier on Sunday that the Yankees were working hard to trade Chapman, reportedly in contact with at least four teams. The Cubs were not believed to be the front runners but certainly upped the ante by offering Torres.
Torres, 19, is rated the Cubs’ #1 prospect and #24 overall in baseball by MLB Pipeline. The shortstop has spent the season with Single-A Myrtle Beach, batting .275/.359/.433 with nine home runs, 47 RBI, 62 runs scored, and 19 stolen bases in 409 plate appearances.
Torres is currently roadblocked at shortstop by Addison Russell, and 21-year-old Ian Happ is rated #3 in the Cubs’ system, so the club would be dealing from surplus.
Prior to Sunday afternoon’s game against the Mariners, the Blue Jays designated reliever Drew Storen for assignment and recalled reliever Ryan Tepera from Triple-A Buffalo.
Storen, 28, had a nightmare of a time with the Jays, leaving with a 6.21 ERA and a 32/10 K/BB ratio over 33 1/3 innings. The Jays acquired him in January from the Nationals in exchange for outfielder Ben Revere and a player to be named later.
Storen is owed the remainder of his $8.375 million salary, which makes it likelier that the right-hander will pass through waivers unclaimed. He’ll be eligible for free agency after the season.