Over the weekend, Joe Torre played the “sure, I’d listen if the Mets called” card, saying that the
Mets “are certainly an inviting situation.” The only problem: Jerry Manuel is still the manager of the Mets. Andy Martino the Daily News just spoke with Manuel about it, and this is what he said:
“I find it curious when someone comments about a job somebody already has . . .that’s not integrity
Look, you know that Jerry Manuel won’t be managing the Mets in 2011, and I know it too. I’m willing to bet that both Manuel and Torre know it as well. But while the papers and the fans and the bloggers can scream for a manager’s head, there has to be a certain etiquette, it seems, about managers talking about other jobs when those jobs aren’t open. In this I’m in agreement with Manuel. The comments by Torre were not good form.
And Torre can’t reasonably claim that he was speaking hypothetically or taken out of context on this. He’s been around this league for about 50 years, and he’s been managing for over 30 of those years. He has to know by now that when you’re talking to a reporter from the New York Post about the Mets that you’re being asked if you want that job.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.