Luis Castillo has one year and $6 million left on his contract, but told Mike Puma of the New York Post that he doesn’t expect to be back with the Mets next season after losing his starting job at second base to 20-year-old rookie Ruben Tejada.
I feel this offseason they can work out something. I need to play. This has been a tough year for me. I got hurt and I came back and played a couple of games and then I saw the moves they were doing, letting the young guys play. Maybe 20 more days here and I’ll be prepared to work out for next season. I want to see if I can get a chance to play next year because I’m going to be a free agent after that and I want to have a good year and put up good numbers.
Castillo told Puma that he came to the conclusion that he’s done in New York after talking to the front office about his status, which while no doubt true may not mean a whole lot if the current front office isn’t actually in charge in a month. Of course, regardless of who’s running the Mets after this season they’ll probably be interested in unloading Castillo.
As was the case last offseason, if the Mets want to move Castillo they’ll have to either eat a large portion of his remaining salary or swap him for another undesirable contract.
The substance of the report is not shocking. Francisco Lindor is one of baseball’s brightest young stars and the Cleveland Indians would, no doubt, wish to lock him up for an extended period of time. The surprising part is the guy who reported that, yes, the Indians are working to get Lindor a seven-year extension.
That guy: six-year-old Brody Chernoff, son of Indians general manager Mike Chernoff. Brody was invited into the team’s broadcast booth during the ninth inning of their game against the Chicago White Sox. Indians announcer Tom Hamilton asked, no doubt jokingly, if his working on anything interesting. Brody:
“He’s trying to get, um, Lindor to play for seven more years,”
Again, not shocking. It would’ve been way worse if Brody had said “Dad’s working on a three-way deal that’ll send Naquin to an NL team in order to affect a three-way trade that’ll land us Verlander without having to deal directly with a divisional rival.” But I imagine Dad still would’ve preferred he not mention that.
Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.
Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.
Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.