Every time a controversial play goes down that could have been made right by instant replay, Bud Selig says they’ll study the matter, and then a few days later he says that everyone likes the status quo just fine.
Not everyone. ESPN’s Jayson Stark polled 24 of the 30 major league managers and found that 18 of them want some form of expanded instant replay or another. Most liked the system for which I’ve long advocated: a fifth umpire up in a booth or a replay official at MLB headquarters who decided which plays to review. A few like a challenge system, which I think would be all kinds of terrible.
The devil is in the details, obviously, and you have to be at least somewhat wary of any poll in which Jerry Manuel constitutes 4% of the sample size, but at the very least we will know that the next time Bud Selig proclaims everyone to be satisfied with the current system, he’s not being honest.
The Dodgers announced on Thursday that the club activated pitcher Grant Dayton from the 10-day disabled list and designated pitcher Sergio Romo for assignment.
Dayton, 29, went on the disabled list earlier this month with neck stiffness. He’ll resume with a 3.63 ERA and a 20/12 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings.
Romo, 34, signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Dodgers in February. It didn’t really work out, as the right-hander posted a 6.12 ERA with a 31/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings. His peripherals are still decent, so it wouldn’t be surprising if a team in need of a bullpen arm makes a deal with the Dodgers within the week.
MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reports that Royals pitcher Nate Karns underwent surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome on Wednesday. He’s expected to be ready for spring training next year. Karns went on the disabled list in May with an elbow injury and didn’t make much progress.
The Royals acquired Karns from the Mariners in January in exchange for outfielder Jarrod Dyson. Over eight starts and one relief appearance, the 29-year-old right-hander compiled a 4.17 ERA and a 51/13 K/BB ratio in 45 1/3 innings.
Karns will enter his first of three years of arbitration eligibility after the season, so he’ll be under the Royals’ control through 2020.