Paul Konerko, an impending free agent, is lighting up scoreboards all over the majors this season. He boasts a .322/.399/.598 batting line over 497 at-bats with 36 home runs and 104 RBI.
Make no mistake, the White Sox want him in their lineup for the 2011 season and beyond. But will they buck up and shell out the kind of contract that it’s going to take to bring him back? General manager Kenny Williams spoke with MLB.com’s Scott Merkin about the matter on Sunday.
“I would love to have him retire as a White Sox,” said Williams. “That’s pretty much all I’m going to say on it, because I don’t know
what the future holds. I don’t know how we are going
to finish. We are driven by the revenue stream that comes in. People might not like it but it is what it is.”
That’s general-manager-speak, which translated means that Williams and Co. are going to do their best to bring Konerko back but understand that many other teams will be looking for a reliable power bat. The 34-year-old Konerko should have plenty of suitors this winter.
The Mets have begun working outfielder Jay Bruce and second baseman Neil Walker at first base as potential insurance in the event Lucas Duda continues to experience back discomfort, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports. Duda has been sidelined recently due to back spasms and missed all but 47 games last season as a result of a stress fracture in his lower back.
Manager Terry Collins spoke about Bruce’s work at first base on Sunday, saying, “I liked everything I saw today. “It looks like he’s got the athleticism, he’s got the hands, he’s got the arm angle. He made some throws in our drills that you wouldn’t expect an outfielder to be able to make, but yet he does. If that’s where we have to go, I think we’ll be fine.”
Bruce has only three games’ worth of experience at first base at the major league level, but still has high expectations for himself. He said, “I am going to work at it. I want to give myself a chance and the team a chance. I am not going to go over there and be a butcher. It’s just not the way I go about my business on the baseball field and it wouldn’t be fair to the team if I wasn’t capable to do it, so I am going to work at it and we’ll see what happens.”
The Mets made Bruce available via trade over the offseason but didn’t get an offer that whet their appetite. As a result, Michael Conforto appears to be the odd man out in the Mets’ crowded outfield.
Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis has been diagnosed with a strained rotator cuff in his right shoulder, MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports. Kipnis has received a cortisone shot and will be shut down from throwing for the next four to five days.
There’s a lot of spring left, so it’s perfectly sensible for the Indians to play it safe with their star player. The club already had Kipnis on a shoulder strengthening program.
Kipnis, 29, helped the Indians to the playoffs after batting .275/.343/.469 with 23 home runs, 92 RBI, 91 runs scored, and 15 stolen bases in 688 plate appearances during the regular season last year. He then helped the Indians reach Game 7 of the World Series against the Cubs, where they were eventually stopped, as he provided a .741 OPS including four homers and eight RBI in 15 playoff games.